From: Richard on
I could disable my ethernet connection from the system tray. Now I cannot.

I found this by "tripbert":

"This script has been tested on SP1 and SP2 Windows XP Pro systems, should
work fine for Home as well.

Hope it helps you all out

Copy between --START-- and --END-- then just paste into a file and name it
fixdb.bat

--START--

@echo off
:: Batch file that tries to remedy error # 800710D9
:: "Unable to read from or write to the database".
:: Author: Torgeir Bakken
:: Date: 2004-08-30

cls
echo This batch file will now try to remedy the error 0x800710D9.
echo To abort and not run it now, hold down Ctrl and press C.
echo Otherwise press the space bar to continue.
pause

:: Stop the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\System32\net.exe stop CryptSvc

:: Rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\Security folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\Security\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old

:: Rename the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
move /y %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2old

IF not exist %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 GOTO CONT01

:: In case the folder rename failed because of locked files
:: rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old
SET catroot2locked=True

:CONT01
cls
echo.
echo Please wait, this might take some time...

:: Unregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
CD /D %SystemRoot%\System32
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u cryptdlg.dll

:: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll

:: Configure and start the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
:: Start the Cryptographic Service
%SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
cls

echo.
If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
again...

GOTO END
:CONT02
echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try
echo to install SP2 again)...
GOTO END

:END
echo.
pause

--END-- "

Is the above my answer to fixing my problem? I don't want to mess my PC.
TIA.

From: Joe on
Richard wrote:
> [...]
> %SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
> :: Start the Cryptographic Service
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
> cls
>
> echo.
> If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
> echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
> again...
>
> GOTO END
> :CONT02
> echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
> echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try
> echo to install SP2 again)...
> GOTO END
>
> :END
> echo.
> pause
>
> --END-- "
>

> Is the above my answer to fixing my problem? I don't want to mess my PC.

Tripbert went to a lot of effort to write that.. hell, he even
documented its uses, and put remarks into the routines so you could see
what's happening. Basically it unregisters, then re-registers .dll
files that are already on your system. How could that be damaging?

--
Joe =o)
From: needlove on
You can also start in safemode and in your account rename catroot2 to
oldcatroot2 in the C:\windows\system32 folder. reboot to normal mode.

From: Richard on

Richard said:
>>> I could disable my ethernet connection from the system tray. Now I
>>> cannot.

Renamed folder Catroot2 to oldCatroot2. It worked! Thanks.

Pages: 1
Prev: PFN_List_corrupt
Next: Bugcode eror message