From: John H Meyers on
On 3/16/2010 8:55 AM, Just Judy wrote:

> I'm trying to help a neighbor that is running Eudora Pro 4.2 on
> a WinXP-Home machine. She's fairly savvy but she has a problem now
> that has confused both of us. She does_not_have money to pay for a
> Eudora upgrade, thankyouverymuch. :)

It's free, as is any "Paid" site license available on the internet.
Qualcomm doesn't care, having refused money for Eudora
since just about three years ago.

If "Froggie" wakes up and thaws out,
(s)he may even post you a registration code right here.

Even in "Sponsored" (but long ad-free) mode,
the last "classic" version (7.1) is immensely superior
to a version which even pre-dates the entire subsequent version series.

The free nature of any upgrade
was even mentioned on your last visit here, around 27 Feb 2009,
during which it appeared you had gone on to "Eudora 8" (Thundora :)
which any day now is going to declare itself as emerged from "beta,"
which it was so long stuck in, having to drive behind the un-passable,
slow-moving "Thunderbird 3"

> She also runs an up-to-date McAfee virus scanner provided by
> her ISP, Comcast.

Try turning off any email scanning it may offer;
don't worry, all attachments are automatically scanned anyway,
because they are separately stored into files.

> She receives 10-30 e-mails per day from her church friends, and
> most of the letters include attachments. As I would expect, at the
> bottom of the incoming letter, you'd see a blue link,
> "prettychurch.jpg," and when we click on the link, the picture is
> displayed.
>
> Several months ago, this changed; she didn't tell me until
> last night.
>
> Now, when you click that link, a message pops up that includes
> text re unable to open the attachment, and it includes this language:
> "...Program%20Files\Qualcomm\Eudora%20Pro..."

This looks like an "HTML URL version" of a Windows path name.

I've heard of this, but so long ago I can't remember;
it might be cured by an update -- by the way,
was the date of onset about the same time as this free
(and worth every penny) McAfee?

If one is game for a "wild stab in the dark,"
see whether there is a function to remove all HTML from the message
(4.2 is so early a version that I don't know its procedure,
but older and wiser people may know -- or even just older people :)

There is also, after all, an attachment directory,
and if the attachment has in fact been stored,
one can just click it to open it.

I've placed a shortcut to my attachments directory on my own desktop,
just to make it so convenient to instantly open that directory,
in which I just click the "Date Modified" column (in "Details" view)
to bring the latest ones to the top.

> What is it in Eudora that is causing the problem?

Probably age ;-)

> I'll be back here soon hoping for a KISS instruction on how to
> fix the problem.

What's simpler than updating? ;-)

Best wishes.

P.S. Even the evil monster itself now offers free anti-virus to everyone
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
(as also do Avast, Avira, and AVG)

From: John H Meyers on
On 3/16/2010 9:39 PM

>> "...Program%20Files\Qualcomm\Eudora%20Pro..."

> This looks like an "HTML URL version" of a Windows path name.

I forgot, is there any option in that old version
about "using Microsoft's viewer"?

If so, flip it and see what happens.