From: SBridgeford on
Hello All,

I have created a new "Basic Page" within one of my Shared Documents lists --
that worked just great. I can see the blank page just fine. When I click on
the "Edit Content" button (link) by browser tries to open the overlay windows
and I get an error dialogue box reporting "cannot open rich text editor." It
address bar is pointing to
http://wss.<mydomain.net>/_layouts/1033/htmledit.aspx but all I can do it
close down the window. I have searched the Web and found the error message
on many discussion forms but no one has posted a solution. I have likewise
search MS knowledge base and I cannot locate anything about this problem.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
--
The Spice Must Flow...
From: SBridgeford on
FOLLOW-UP POSTING:

Hello All,

I am still getting this error message and I have been trying to figure out
what is going on with my Sharepoint system. I have traced the problem down
to some lines of code in the htmledit.aspx file located in C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server
extensions\60\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033 folder.

Starting on line #1332 there is a function called window_onload(). One of
the first things this function does is to perform the following test:

if (typeof(tbContentElement.Busy) == "undefined")
{
var L_CANNOTOPEN_ERR = "Sorry, Cannot open the Rich Text Editor.";
alert(L_CANNOTOPEN_ERR);
OKorCancelButtonClicked = true;
window.close();
return;
}

After this test a second IF statement is also test:

if (tbContentElement.Busy)
{
if (dhtmledStillBusyOnInitialLoadCount >= 20)
{
var L_CANNOTOPEN_ERR = "Too Bad, Cannot open the Rich Text Editor.";
alert(L_CANNOTOPEN_ERR);
OKorCancelButtonClicked = true;
window.close();
return;
}
window.setTimeout(window_onload,100);
dhtmledStillBusyOnInitialLoadCount = dhtmledStillBusyOnInitialLoadCount + 1;
return;
}
NOTE: I added the 'Sorry, ' and the 'To Bad, ' before the actual error
message "Cannot open the Rich Text Editor." so I could determine which one
was failing. I ONLY get this first error condition since I now received the
"Sorry, Cannot open the Rich Text Editor." in the ALERT pop-up message box.

What I do not know is they I.E. 7 running on Vista Ultimate Edition should
be triggering this "undefined" condition whenever I try to launch the "Edit
Content" link.

As a further point of information, I logged in to my Sharepoint site with
Firefox 2.0.0.3 and I DO NOT receive this error. The editor actually does
run. It is not formated correctly on the right hand side of the screen and
most of the items are not usable, but it does launch and I can made some
edits of the "Basic Page".

If anyone has any ideas I am open to trying out new solutions.

NOTE: I double-checked and my site users DO have full edit permissions for
the Sharepoint site.

From: SBridgeford on
Hello All, It's me again.

I have done more research on this problem. It seems that MS has killed the
whole process that makes this work on the I.E.7 / Vista platform.

Here are two articles that seem to explain what is going on but NO SOLUTION
is given for Sharepoint.

It would seem that if you don't have this problem yet, you will have it as
soon as you upgrade to I.E. 7 and Vista. This also affects WOA.

The 2nd article (aa663363.aspx) seems to indicate a work around ("TriEdit
ActiveX Document objects will also not be included in Windows Vista, but will
be available for download separately,")

I think the solution might be located at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=b769a4b8-48ed-41a1-8095-5a086d1937cb&displayLang=en

I am going to download it and install it. I will test to see if it works.