From: Simon Collier on
I have WSS 3.0 installed on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. On the
whole, it works beautifully. I have two issued related to permissions
though. Here are my steps to reproduce. They must all be done on the same
client machine.

1. I created a Document Library, and set the permissions to not inherit. I
assigned Group1 full control.

2. I uploaded Document1.doc, and used Manage Permissions to remove
inheritance and assign specific permissions (Group1 = Full, user1 = read).

3. I uploaded Document2.doc, and used Manage Permissions to remove
inheritance. Now it has permissions set for Group1 = full and User1 = read.
How did that happen? Surely it should have inherited from the main library
if anything, not the last uploaded file. Anyway, I can add permissions for
user2 = read, and REMOVE permissions for user1.

4. I uploaded Document3.doc. Now BOTH previous users have read permission to
this document!

5. I went into the Document Library settings, and checked the permissions...
There are too many people with read rights. I edit the permissions on the
library to remove the users, checked the permissions for document1.doc,
document2.doc and document3.doc and ALL of them have lost their permission
entries for the users, despite not inheriting permissions.

So that's really 2 questions.
a) Why does each new document inherit permissions from EVERY PREVIOUS
user/group that has been assigned permissions in that library, on that
computer?
b) Why did resetting the permissions on the document library remove the user
permissions on each document within it, despite the documents not inheriting
permission?

Thanks!
Simon

From: Robert Zhao [MSFT] on
Hello Simon,

I'm trying to follow your steps to see if I could reproduce the issue on my
side, but when I created a Document Library, there is no option to set
permission not inherit. I'm wondering to confirm with you that if you
created a site with Document Center template.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Robert Zhao
Microsoft Online Support

From: Simon Collier on
Thanks for your reply, Robert. Here are the steps I took, from my "Site1"
main page.

Site Actions > Create.
Libraries > Document Library.
Enter name (Library1), desc, etc. Click Create.
I am now in the Site1>Library1, with the New, Upload, Actions, Settings menu
near the top.
Click Settings > Document Library Settings.
Permissions and Management > Permissions for this document library.
Actions > Edit Permissions. (Warning: You are about to create unique
permissions for this document library. Changes made to the parent site
permissions will no longer affect this document library. (Click Ok.)).
Now any changes to the library are not inherited from the site.
I set the permissions to allow only Group1 Full access (no otherusers/groups
are listed.)

So now I have my library ready, lets deal with the files:
Back at the Library1 Document Library screen (Site1>Library1, with the New,
Upload, Actions, Settings menu near the top.)
Click Upload.
Browse to select a file, upload document1.doc. Ok.
Click the Document1.doc drop-down, select Manage Permissions.
Click Actions > Edit Permissions. (Warning: You are about to create unique
permissions for this document. Changes made to the parent folder or document
library permissions will no longer affect this document.) Ok.
This is where I'd add the user1 with read permissions. You can probably
replicate the rest from here.

Thanks, Robert!

Simon

From: Robert Zhao [MSFT] on
Thanks for your detailed information, Simon.

I am doing test based on your steps, and I will update you as soon as
possible.

Sincerely,
Robert Zhao
Microsoft Online Support

From: Robert Zhao [MSFT] on
Hello Simon,

Thanks for your patience.

I've done the same tests as you told, and I got the same result.

When I try to check the permission on the second document, the user1 we
added in the first document has "Limited Access" permission on it. Both
user1 and user2 have "Limited Access" permission to document3. Per my
understanding, it is very normal. Let look at the following change list:

1. For the Document Library, we remove all the groups but leave Group1 full
control.
(Group1 has full control permission on the Document Library)

2. We upload docuemnt1.
(Group1 has full control permission on the Document Library.
Group1 has full control permission on document1.)

3. We add user1 Design permission to document1.
(Group1 has full control permission on the Document Library.
Group1 has full control permission on document1.
User1 has Design permission on docuemnt1.
In the meanwhile, user1 is granted Limited Access permission to the
Document Library. If no the permission, how can user1 view any document in
Document Library? So that's the point.)

4. We upload document2.
(Group1 has full control permission on the Document Library.
Group1 has full control permission on document1.
User1 has Design permission on docuemnt1.
User1 has Limited Access permission to the Document Library.
User1 inherits Limited Access permission from Document Library, so user1
has automatically been granted Limited Access permission on document2)

5. We remove user1 and add user2 Design permission for document2.
(Group1 has full control permission on the Document Library.
Group1 has full control permission on document1.
User1 has Design permission on docuemnt1.
User1 has Limited Access permission to the Document Library.
User2 has Design permission on document2.
In the meanwhile, user2 is granted Limited Access permission to the
Document Library)

From now, Group1, user1 and user2 are all have permissions in the Document
Library. If we upload document 3, we can easily deduce what happens to
document3.

If you have any question on the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
Robert Zhao
Microsoft Online Support