From: deertroy1 on
PS - I'm not sure if my card reader is Alcor Micro as there is no name on it
and it only says generic usb reader!

From: deertroy1 on

From: Paul on
deertroy1 wrote:
> PS - I'm not sure if my card reader is Alcor Micro as there is no name on it
> and it only says generic usb reader!

Alcor makes USB chips of one sort or another. Other companies will be
responsible for using their chips, to build card readers or hubs or whatever.

The software you reference (shwicon2k.exe), may not be absolutely essential
software. I seem to remember at one time, card reader manufacturers including
"chopware" that placed non-generic icons for the four reader device entries
you might see in Explorer. The actual driver, needed to make the hardware work,
may be built into Windows, if the OS is modern enough. For something like
Win98, the driver package in that case, would be providing USB support that
may not be in the OS itself. But newer OSes could be in better shape in
that regard, and not need the CD that comes in the product box.

http://www.file.net/process/shwicon2k.exe.html

"Bought a flash card reader off of Newegg and it came with this on a CD.
Perfectly safe. All it does is change the icons for the drives in My Computer."

HTH,
Paul