From: deertroy1 on
I get an error message every now and then. All the message says is "fAIL",
spelled like that. There is no number and there is no pattern to when it
appears although it seems to be a little bit after my printer has been used
although not right after. Maybe a minute or so after. I checked my event
viewer and it doesn't appear there. I guess my first step is to find out
what is causing it. Any suggestions?
I am using windows xp, avast free anti virus and comodo firewall.
From: Ǝиçεl on

Do a scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
(Free Home edition)

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>

Reboot
-=-
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
Reboot
-=-

ƎиçΞᴌ
-=-

From: deertroy1 on

I have both of those programs. I beleive I've scanned with Malwarebytes and
it came back clean. However, I'll do a full scan and reboot with each and
post the results here.

From: VanguardLH on
deertroy1 wrote:

> I get an error message every now and then. All the message says is "fAIL",
> spelled like that. There is no number and there is no pattern to when it
> appears although it seems to be a little bit after my printer has been used
> although not right after. Maybe a minute or so after. I checked my event
> viewer and it doesn't appear there. I guess my first step is to find out
> what is causing it. Any suggestions?
> I am using windows xp, avast free anti virus and comodo firewall.

Install SysInternals' Process Explorer (now owned by Microsoft). In the
toolbar is a sniper crosshair. Click on it and then click on the window
displaying the "fAIL" message. Process Explorer will then highlight
(default is gray highlighting) which process has a handle to that opened
window. This will tell you who opened that message.
From: deertroy1 on
I ran a scan with both programs and they came back clean. However, the fAIL
error appeared imediately following rebooting both times. I'm in the process
of running a boot time scan with Avast. Thanks for the tip about Process
Explorer. I'll install it once I get home and hopefully that will tell me
where the error message is being generated. I'll post results later.