From: lucky723 on

Mohsen Arjomand;1636850 Wrote:
> I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured
> that I
> will do my best to help you.
>

> This error can be caused by Windows Modules Installer service
> corrupted, we
> may use following way to try to repair this service. If this service
> still
> can't be repaired and our issue persists, we may back up data on
> system and
> use HP recovery disk to restore system to factory mode, this way can
> repair
> Windows Modules Installer service.
>

> Step 1: Manually replace the corrupt Windows Modules Installer
>
> ==================================
>
> Step 1: Change the owner of the Servicing folder
>
> 1. Click Start. In the search bar, type in "%windir%" (without the
> quotation
> marks) and press Enter.
>
> 2. Right click Servicing folder and click "Properties".
>
> 3. Click the Security tab.
>
> 4. Click Advanced.
>
> 5. Click the Owner tab.
>
> 6. Click Edit.
>
> 7. Under "Change owner to", highlight the Administrator account. Click
> on
> "Replace Owner on Subcontainers and objects". Click OK.
>
> 8. Click OK. You might receive an "Access Deny" error. Just go ahead.
>
> 9. In the Security tab of Servicing folder properties, click Edit.
>
> 10. Highlight Administrators and grant it "Full Control" permission.
>
> 11. Click OK.
>

> Step 2: Manually restore missing file
>
> ============================
>
> 1. Download and Save the Fix.zip file form
> '4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download fix.zip'
> (http://www.4shared.com/file/197624120/979be69/fix.html)
> to the Desktop.
>
> 2. Extract the two files. TrustedInstaller.exe and
> TrustedInstaller.reg.
>
> 3. Copy the TrustedInstaller.exe file into C:\Windows\servicing
> folder.
>

> Step 3: Backup Registry
>
> ===================
>
> 1. Click Start. Type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.
>
> 2. Select Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under
> the
> File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in
> box
> and type backup in File Name. Click Save.
>

> Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We
> can
> simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.
>

> After that, please refer to the following steps to import the register
> key.
>

> Step 4: Import TrustedInstaller.reg
>
> ===========================
>
> 1. Double click the TrustedInstaller.reg file in the fix.zip file.
>
> 2. Click Yes when you are prompted to import it.
>

> Restart the computer and check if Windows Update works.

I hope that I can be of some help in this matter of error code
80070081. I have an HP notebook PC running Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
I had it for about 2 months and all of a sudden I was unable to get any
Windows updates. . . all I got was the error code. I have done a lot of
research on the web and found that others had this same issue. I was on
the phone for hours with HP tech support and Microsoft(Microsoft wanted
to charge me!) and neither one was able to resolve my issue. Thankfully,
my PC was entitled to a free Windows 7 upgrade. I have had the disks for
several months but never got around to the installation. Well, today
was the day! I installed Windows 7 (as an upgrade-recommended). The
installation took about 4 hours, but it was worth it. Now I am able to
receive Windows Updates without any problems. Also, I have not
encountered any other software issues either. I joined this community
just to post this so I hope I was able to help other "techies" out
there!

--
lucky723