From: Dan Orth on
Hi-
I installed VPC 2007 fine on my Vista Ultimate machine and then tried to
install Windows XP Pro but I keep on getting the error:

"Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows
CD. Please insert one of the following Windows product CDs into teh CD-ROM
drive: Windows XP Home Edition (full version), Windows XP Professional (full
version)..."

I have a genuine Windows XP Pro full edition CD complete with the
holographics and big "experience" foldout case with the product key and
documentation, etc. This was the copy of Windows XP I was using before I
upgraded to Vista.

I also tried a friend's XP Pro cd but I get the same error message. Does
anyone know what might be causing this or who I can contact at Microsoft if
my cd isn't being recognized correctly? Thank you,
-Dan
From: "Sylvain Lafontaine" sylvain aei ca on
When you say that you are seeing this error, did you see if the Virtual
Machine (VM) has tried to read the CD in the physical drive?

The first thing to check would be to make sure that the physical CD/DVD is
used/captured by the VM just before you start the booting process: check the
Use Physical Drive ... options under the CD menu of the VM when it is
running.

You can use the Reset option from the Action menu to restart or reboot the
VM.

If you still have problem, the best way would be to extract the ISO image of
the CD to your hard drive and use this ISO image in replacement of the
physical drive in VPC: Capture ISO Image... from the CD menu. Doing a setup
using an ISO image is also much faster then using the physical CD.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

From: Mike on
Dan,

I am a virtual novice but I just installed XP Pro over Vista Home Premium
last night and it seems to work fine and run a lot faster that I though it
might!

It is possible.

Mike

From: Vanguard on
"Dan Orth" <DanOrth(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
> I installed VPC 2007 fine on my Vista Ultimate machine and then tried
> install Windows XP Pro but I keep on getting the error:
>
> "Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid
> Windows
> CD. Please insert one of the following Windows product CDs into teh
> CD-ROM
> drive: Windows XP Home Edition (full version), Windows XP Professional
> (full
> version)..."
>
> I have a genuine Windows XP Pro full edition CD complete with the
> holographics and big "experience" foldout case with the product key
> and
> documentation, etc. This was the copy of Windows XP I was using
> before I
> upgraded to Vista.
>
> I also tried a friend's XP Pro cd but I get the same error message.
> Does
> anyone know what might be causing this or who I can contact at
> Microsoft if
> my cd isn't being recognized correctly? Thank you,
> -Dan

You were running Windows XP Pro. You then UPGRADED to Windows Vista.
That means you only have ONE legitimate license for Windows, any
version. You are required to have a separate legal license for each
instance of Windows that you run within Virtual PC. You only have 1
license but to run Windows, any version, inside a VM means you must have
2 licenses: one for the host OS (Windows) and one for the guest OS (also
Windows). If you do not want to buy another license for Windows, go to
www.distrowatch.com and use the free distros of Linux.