From: Onemac on
XP Home sp2 Build2600.
At startup I get this error message: Error: loader couldn't initial service.
Dr Watson is not logging anything and there is no entry in Event Veiwer.
System appears stable, haven't found any non-responsive programs (yet).
I have screen shots saved of the Event Veiwer but not sure if I can even
post them here. Can I?
I enabled boot logging but was unable to locate the log file. Think that
would help?
Also, in Windows help, Dr watson is said to need certain tools from the XP
Home CD . These are supposed to be in: Support\Debug\i386. Well, the disk
does not have that address. I see them at: Support\Tools and the read me says
to load this as a program. I'm confused about this. Please help. Thanx.

From: Wesley Vogel on
No need for screen shots from the Event Viewer. Click the Copy button and
paste into Notepad or a message....

Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

-----

The bootlog is called Ntbtlog.txt.

Located here >>
%systemroot%\Ntbtlog.txt or C:\WINDOWS\Ntbtlog.txt

To open Ntbtlog.txt...
Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%systemroot%\Ntbtlog.txt

Click OK.

-----

You don't really need to access Dr. Watson...

Dr. Watson also records an entry in the Event Viewer Application Log
containing the program name, date, time, exception number, exception name,
program counter, and function name at the current program counter, as well
as the complete diagnostic information that was logged for that error.
-----

You can chase your tail for a long time with Dr. Watson.

Dr. Watson overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_overview.mspx

Setting up Dr. Watson
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_setup.mspx

Working with Dr. Watson
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_options.mspx

Using Dr. Watson
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_dr_watson.mspx

Using the Dr. Watson log file
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_logfile.mspx

How to Install Symbols for Dr. Watson Error Debugging
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141465

HOWTO: Use Rebase to Extract Symbols for DrWtSn32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258205

As near as I can tell, Dr Watson is virtually worthless without the symbols.

Download Windows Symbol Packages
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/symbolpkg.mspx#Windows%20symbol%20packages

Dr. Watson Fails to Appear Because of Long File Names in Path
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175644/

Dr. Watson Does Not Run with Certain Extensible Counters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q234860/

Dr. Watson Causing Fault in USER32
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175875/

Random Dr. Watson Errors in Services.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q219602/

Error 87 and Dr. Watson
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162623/

Interpreting DrWtsn32.log File to Identify Program Crash Data
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q246084/

Dr. Watson Log File May Not Contain Task List
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214791

Specifying the Debugger for Unhandled User Mode Exceptions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q121434/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:390F2E1D-21E1-4F8D-930C-8FAD6C29D934(a)microsoft.com,
Onemac <Onemac(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

From: Onemac on
Ok, yea,lots of good info here, thanx. Here is the only error showing in the
event veiwer: Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 2/18/2005
Time: 9:33:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GAMER-NGHUI03WC
The ZESOFT service failed to start due to the following error:

The link here was very general. I have no idea what ZESOFT is. Am going to
look for it as soon as I'm done here. Thanx. Scott.

From: Wesley Vogel on
Looks like you have SCUMWARE. Bargain Buddy.

http://castlecops.com/postp443854.html

Adware.P2PNetworking
http://labs.paretologic.com/spyware.aspx?remove=Adware.P2PNetworking

Bargain Buddy Removal Instructions
http://www.scanspyware.net/info/BargainBuddy.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:926DBAAF-E3D8-4A36-9C4D-5E7AB40773A3(a)microsoft.com,

From: Onemac on
Wesley, I ran Microsoft AntiSpyware and found 6 instances of spy/adware
including BargainBuddy and Comet. Still got the same error! I then ran the
on-line XoftSpy and it found some 123 more instances of the same plus some so
I bought the software and ran it with all the updates and found 253 entries
of spy/adware! Spanked Microsoft AntiSpyware!!! Still, have same error:(
I deleted the current bootlog and cleared all event weiwer entries then
rebooted with boot logging enabled. Here is the result:
Service Pack 2 2 19 2005 09:52:07.500
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver a347bus.sys
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver viaide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver a347scsi.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\SCSIPORT.SYS
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver fltmgr.sys
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver viaagp.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\TBirdHD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\TBhdgame.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SMC1211.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\parport.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\msgpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\psched.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ptilink.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspti.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mnmdd.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rasacd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipsec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\gt680x.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\MpFirewall.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fips.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mdc8021x.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\DMusic.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxdav.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ParVdm.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SVKP.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\HTTP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipfltdrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NaiFiltr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys

I checked the event veiwer and found that the applicatins tab showed only
'information', all blue !'s. Same with System. The Security tab, however,
showed 1 lock symbol with the note 'Audit Failed. Here's the clip from that:

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 2/19/2005
Time: 9:53:21 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: GAMER-NGHUI03WC
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network
interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
further diagnose the problem.

The link here is no good, says something about no page listed, check the
address to make sure you typed it correctly and gives links to Microsoft
security center.
By the way, I did 'repair' my network connection just prior to this last
boot. I'm ready to SCREAM! Well, hope this info helps you/me. Thanx again.
Scott.