From: Michael on
Bob

I've unchecked 'Include this account when checking for new messages.'
Rebooted, re-entered Outlook Express. The message no longer appears. So,
thanks for helping me resolve this issue.

Also while I'm here. Sometimes I get an issue whereby, my posts or threads
refuse to send via the outbox feature. So wondering if you could 'throw
some light' on why this sometimes happens? In particular since it can end
up being an inconvenience not only to myself, yet, the remaining contacts
trying to get help from this forum.

Best regards

Michael

From: Bob Lucas on
Unchecking 'Include this account when checking for new messages'
will remove the immediate problem with your "http" mail account.
However, one of your mail accounts in Outlook Express has not
been set up properly. It would be better to configure the
account correctly - or remove it completely.

I presume your other problem relates to newsgroup postings only.
There could be so many causes. Next time a post "refuses to
send", please copy and post the complete error message. Then,
someone will probably be able to help.

I have cross posted this response to the newsgroup at
microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
That's not a newsgroup error. Methinks he's trying (or tried) to access a
Hotmail account via POP3 and made a mess of it.

<canned>
Compare your configuration settings to those listed on this page:
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!422.entry

TIP: OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [new Hotmail POP3 account] | Properties |
Servers | Incoming mail server | Log on using Secure Password Authentication
<=Do NOT check/enable this option!

TIP: OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [new Hotmail POP3 account] | Properties |
Servers | Outgoing mail server | My server requires authentication
<=check/enable this option

TIP: OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [new Hotmail POP3 account] | Properties |
Advanced:

=> Outgoing (SMTP) server port will need to be 587 (not 25) for most users
=> Incoming (POP3) server should be port 995
=> Both SSL options must be checked/enabled

TIP: Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and it may problems.

� Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email

</canned>
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Michael on
I have not been trying to set up a Hotmail account. If the issue (that's
intermittant) occurs with me, then it can happen to anyone. This being, in
all the associated forums in Outlook Express.

To add more backbone. I have known the thread to remain in the 'outbox'
after selecting the 'Send' option. Other times, I can send without any
trouble along the way.

Meanwhile, the purpose of Mr Lucas transferring my details to this forum is
that as and when the issue arises, is to obtain the relevant feedback on the
causes.

Michael

From: Michael on
Thanks Bob for crossposting my thread for me. I've now got this 'forum' up
and running in Outlook Express and await further threads to this effect.

Meanwhile, if a duplicate issue appears it is because my most recent posting
has again, failed to send. And there is nothing in the outbox to this
effect. So, consequently, I cannot copy any messages appearing. Still, I
should at least let you know how I get on with any useful postings in the
Outlook Express forum.

All the best