From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"krige" <krige.3xzkjc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:krige.3xzkjc(a)DoNotSpam.com...

> I don't know whether it's hardware or software but the router does have
> a firewall. My network administrator told me it only checks inbound
> traffic and confirmed me the port 443 is open.
>
> Avast Home Edition 4.8
>
> They are both started and running. They can be stopped, started and
> restarted.
>
> I have downloaded and have run the fix mentioned in that page with no
> success: I still get the same error.
>
> They are all enabled. Should I look for any other evidence?
>
> The InPrivate Filtering frame is empty.
>
> I don't know whether it's relevant but I have just found out that the
> reverse lookup for update.microsoft.com doesn't work. When I run:
>
> nslookup update.microsoft.com
>
> it gives me back:
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
> Address: 65.55.184.156
> Aliases: update.microsoft.com
>
> whereas when I run:
>
> nslookup 65.55.184.156
>
> it gives:
>
> *** can't find 65.55.184.156: Non-existent domain
>
> The reverse lookup works fine with all the other domains I have
> checked.
>
> The DNS server is set to be automatically obtained. It doesn't work
> with any other manually set.
>

> --
> krige
> krige's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/131439.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1241094.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

If you're looking for a connectivity test use telnet and open a connection
with that canonical name you found at its port 80. Then when the cursor
appears at the top of the screen enter GET /
(That is the simplest simulation of an HTTP request by an HTTP client.)

FWIW here is what my screen looks like after I do that. First this:

<telnet>

GET /me to Microsoft Telnet Client

Microsoft Telnet> s 'CTRL+]'

Microsoft Telnet> o update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net 80
Connecting To update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net...

</telnet>

and then this:

<telnet>
HTTP/1.1 302 Object moved
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 15:36:36 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Location: /windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx
</telnet>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: MowGreen on
> My network administrator told me it only checks inbound
> traffic and confirmed me the port 443 is open.

Hold on. What is the setup we're dealing with here ? Is the system on a
network at *work* or at home ?

AFAIK, the router may be blocking *outbound* traffic of the system, thus
resulting in the communications error with the update servers.

> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
> Address: 65.55.184.156
> Aliases: update.microsoft.com
>
> whereas when I run:
>
> nslookup 65.55.184.156
>
> it gives:
>
> *** can't find 65.55.184.156: Non-existent domain

The servers DNS addresses are fluid. If they weren't, they'd be DDoSed
into oblivion. So, the non-existent domain message is 'expected behavior'.

Run IE with no add-ons and see what happens ...
Start > Programs > Accessorites > System Tools
Under System Tools there should be a shortcut named
" Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) "

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: krige on

Robert Aldwinckle;4600976 Wrote:
> If you're looking for a connectivity test use telnet and open a
> connection
> with that canonical name you found at its port 80. Then when the
> cursor
> appears at the top of the screen enter GET /
> (That is the simplest simulation of an HTTP request by an HTTP
> client.)

When I type "GET /" in Microsoft Telnet I get "Invalid Command. type
?/help for help".

Robert Aldwinckle;4600976 Wrote:
> FWIW here is what my screen looks like after I do that. First this:
>
> <telnet>
>
> GET /me to Microsoft Telnet Client

When I type that in Microsoft Telnet I get "Invalid Command. type
?/help for help".

Robert Aldwinckle;4600976 Wrote:
> Microsoft Telnet> s 'CTRL+]'

I am not sure what I should press with the CTRL key. In order to get
the ']' symbol on my keyboard layout I need to press AltGr. And what's
this command for?

Robert Aldwinckle;4600976 Wrote:
> Microsoft Telnet> o update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net 80
> Connecting To update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net...

I tried that and after a while I got an empty screen with "Press any
key to continue...", and then when I pressed a key I got "Connection to
host lost."

What is this nsatc.net domain?

Robert Aldwinckle;4600976 Wrote:
> </telnet>

What do you mean with these telnet tags?

MowGreen;4601219 Wrote:
> Hold on. What is the setup we're dealing with here ? Is the system on a
> network at *work* or at home ?

It's on a network at work.

MowGreen;4601219 Wrote:
> AFAIK, the router may be blocking *outbound* traffic of the system,
> thus
> resulting in the communications error with the update servers.

My network administrator told me it only checks inbound traffic,
outbound is not checked. My colleagues computers don't have any error
when updating. I tried to install the operating system from scratch but
it didn't solve the problem.

MowGreen;4601219 Wrote:
> Run IE with no add-ons and see what happens ...
> Start > Programs > Accessorites > System Tools
> Under System Tools there should be a shortcut named
> " Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) "

Still the same [Error number: 0x8024402F].

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
krige wrote:

> When I type "GET /" in Microsoft Telnet I get "Invalid Command. type
> ?/help for help".

You first need to connect to a web server, using a command like:

open update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net 80

Harry.

From: krige on

'Harry Johnston [MVP Wrote:
> ;4607605']You first need to connect to a web server, using a command
> like:
>
> open update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net 80

I tried that, it shows the following:

Connecting To update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net...

for about 30 seconds, then:

Press any key to continue...

And when I press a key it shows:

Connection to host lost.