From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"krige" <krige.3yhuvb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:krige.3yhuvb(a)DoNotSpam.com...

> 'Harry Johnston [MVP Wrote:
>> ;4607605']You first need to connect to a web server, using a command
>> like:
>>
>> open update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net 80
>
> I tried that, it shows the following:
>
> Connecting To update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net...
>
> for about 30 seconds, then:
>
> Press any key to continue...

That's good. Usually you get more time but those 30 seconds
are when you can try entering GET /

E.g. did you notice a cursor at the top left? That's where the GET /
would be typed.

> And when I press a key it shows:
>
> Connection to host lost.

FWIW I see then...

<telnet extracts>
HTTP/1.1 302 Object moved

Location: /windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx
</telnet>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: krige on

I took the computer home and tried to update from there.
There it successfully installed the update KB898461.
Then I took the computer back to my work place and now everything works
fine, I don't get any error anymore.

--
krige
krige's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/131439.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
We shall alert the media.

From: krige on

Apparently that didn't fix it as I imagined: the same problem is
occurring again. I am suspecting something is wrong in the
rooter/gateway configuration as other computers on my network are
getting the same error.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"krige" <krige.401pzc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:krige.401pzc(a)DoNotSpam.com...

> Apparently that didn't fix it as I imagined: the same problem is
> occurring again. I am suspecting something is wrong in the
> rooter/gateway configuration as other computers on my network are
> getting the same error.

Did you try the GET / with telnet?

Note that a sequence would be:

In a cmd window (or even in the Run... dialog) enter:

telnet update.microsoft.com 80

Then overtype the Welcome to telnet... top line with

GET /

And press Enter. You may have to press Enter twice.

However, if it is just a problem with your DNS try this sequence
of commands instead (in a cmd window, this won't work from Run...)

1. ipconfig /flushdns
2. ping -n 1 update.microsoft.com
3. press Ctrl-c
4. Extract the canonical name from the pinging message
5. ping -n 1 the name from 4.
6. repeat 3 thru 5 until the extracted name is the name you pinged last.
7. then try to use the WU shortcut.

BTW in order to check on what that accomplished you can use
1. ipconfig /displaydns >displaydns.txt
2. notepad displaydns.txt
and press F3 to find that last name.

So for example you might see something like this when you're done:

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>ipconfig /displaydns >displaydns.txt

E:\>notepad displaydns.txt

E:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

E:\>ping -n 1 update.microsoft.com

Pinging update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net [65.55.184.156] with 32 bytes of data:

Control-C
^C
E:\>ping -n 1 update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Pinging update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net [65.55.184.156] with 32 bytes of data:

Control-C
^C
E:\>ipconfig /displaydns >displaydns.txt

E:\>notepad displaydns.txt

</cmd_output>

and your F3 find in Notepad could show

<displaydns.txt>
update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Record Name . . . . . : update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Record Type . . . . . : 1

Time To Live . . . . : 197

Data Length . . . . . : 4

Section . . . . . . . : Answer

A (Host) Record . . . : 65.55.184.156

</displaydns.txt>

You need to find A (Host) Record or you won't have an IP address
for your lookup so then nothing useful would have been cached.
Note that the Time to Live (TTL) value is seconds, so that would give
you about 3 minutes to use this lookup without having to go back
to your DNS. (In fact, once an instance of IE gets connected
it may manage its own cache of IP addresses which make
the TTL in the dnscache entries less important.)

HTH

Robert
---