From: TR on
Hey Folks,

I've been getting that message for almost a year now. Actually allowed
Microsoft Techie to remotely access my computer.......this guy was big-time
high tech. After he and i couldn't resolve, I allowed he and a buddy access
to my computer for TWO days..........THEY COULD NOT RESOLVE. So now reduced
to try and download manually what I need. I don't recognize all I need in the
updates. Very frustrating.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "Rich" <Rich(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can not use windows update. I get this Error number: 0x8024D007 which is
>> > not a recognized error in the system.
>>

>> Try a search?
>>
>> Using the search tool for the web interface that you are posting from:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=bfd1a3d2-1190-4028-a61f-241ad2c43974&sloc=en-us
>>
>> (search for
>> 0x8024D007 MVP
>> - filtered by Threads with helpful posts
>> - first thread
>> - one of my replies about this
>> )
>>

>> ---
>>
>> When I click on the link in the thread I get the update window. It reads "Checking your computer for new up dates then IE shuts
>> down completely sending me back to my desktop.

I'm having trouble deciding if your are serious about asking for help
or just ranting... ; }

It looks to me that you probably clicked on the link that
the poster I was responding to had tried.

I'll quote the part of _my_ reply that I thought was obvious to use:

<quote>
Did you try to follow kingsnake's directions?

Kingsnake appears to be going here

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

As was mentioned I had to install the ActiveX control for that site
and there was a prompt from the XPsp2 Information bar to do that.
</quote>

IOW the link is to the English update catalog.
There should be no message seen about checking for updates.

In fact, the first thing it is showing me is: "Checking for the latest
version of the Windows Update software" but then quickly shows
"Welcome to the Windows Update Catalog".

So, if, using your words, you "can not use windows update"
try using the catalog instead.

Good luck

Robert
---

From: Rich on

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>> Kingsnake appears to be going here
>>
>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

> As soon as I click the link my IE shuts down returning me to my desktop.

I don't believe that. Try being more observant and precise about
reporting your observations. Remember your words have to substitute
for what our eyes might notice. E.g. before that happened I suspect
you may have been able to detect at least flashes of changes happening
in the Status bar, Title bar, Address bar, and display area.

However, in order to get some clearer perspective of what all
those changes might be let's try using a technique that I call
maximal prompting.

<paste description="maximal prompting">
Doubleclick on the Internet security zone icon in the Status bar
then click Custom Level, then Reset... and set every promptable
setting which is currently enabled to Prompt. (Tip: press P
and note if there is an Enable already selected in the same group;
if so, press Space; repeat until the end of the list.)
The ones that we care about are usually dynamic,
e.g. they do not require a restart of IE but doing that
would ensure that all your changes would be in effect.
</paste>

Also, another aspect of the prompting sequence depends on whether
you have WUv4 software installed. Perhaps yours is broken.
So let's remove whatever of it you have now and expect that it will be
reinstalled as part of a prompting sequence. E.g. use the Tools, Options,
Settings, View Objects... and see if you have an object called Update Class.
Press Enter to see its properties and verify that its CodeBase looks
something like:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38795.5478703704

(E.g. the V4 is the most significant detail you would like to confirm.)
Then right-click Remove that object. In fact, if you like, you could try
doing that step first, without the maximal prompting diagnostic in effect
because it will probably give you a different sequence of pages and
prompts anyway.

Another thing you could try doing is using XPsp2's Manage Add-ons
tool to make sure all other ActiveX controls have been temporarily
disabled, e.g. in case one of them is interfering and causing the browser
to abort when using the V4 control. That could also change your
symptoms without having to resort to the maximal prompting diagnostic.

> Thanks Rob I appreciate the advise.

BTW please do NOT overtype others' quoted blank lines.
The right-angle bracket (>) characters are used to denote
the level of reply. I have edited off the extra level of quoting
which you confusingly added by overtyping the two blank lines
at the bottom of my post. ; )

Good luck

Robert
---