From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
So I'm exploring VS2005 features. I decided to try the C/C++ code analysis option. I get
the error

Error 1 fatal error C1085: Cannot write precompiled header file:
'Release\openmp.pchast': Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested
service. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h 710

What insufficient resources? I'm running on a brand-new Win64 system (XP Pro 64 SP 1)
with 138GB of free disk space on that drive. I successfully compiled this program any
number of times, so I know the disk is not write-protected, and this was the first time,
so there couldn't have been an existing file that was being used by someone else. As is
usual with many of the Microsoft error messages of late, the documentation appears to have
no relevance to the error.

There are only a few programs running: VS2005, Windows Explorer, Paint, a text editor,
Task Manager, MSDN, and my Viewport Explorer. On a dual-processor dual-core AMD Opteron
with 2GB of RAM. I See No Resource Shortage Here.

Actually, it looks to me like Yet Another Visual Studio 2005 Bug (I characterize VS2005 as
being just like VS.NET 2003, except it has more bugs). I had hoped that maybe the new
features had been tested, but apparently this is not the case, either. It seems to have
most of the VS.NET 2003 bugs, but the old features that used to work are broken also (I'm
reduced to hand-adding control variables because ClassWizard crashes with a scripting
error when I try to use it). And VS itself crashes 8-10 times a day with no detectable
error report; it just disappears (I accidentally double-clicked on a linker error, and it
is absolutely repeatable that this will cause VS to simply disappear without a trace).

Too bad they seem to have abandoned product testing as a step in the development.
joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Pete Delgado on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> So I'm exploring VS2005 features. I decided to try the C/C++ code
> analysis option. I get
> the error
>
> Error 1 fatal error C1085: Cannot write precompiled header file:
> 'Release\openmp.pchast': Insufficient system resources exist to complete
> the requested
> service. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h 710

If this is a project that you have upgraded, you need to "clean" the project
or perform a complete rebuild.

-Pete

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
No, the project was created in VS2005.
joe

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:07:32 -0500, "Pete Delgado" <Peter.Delgado(a)noads.net> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>> So I'm exploring VS2005 features. I decided to try the C/C++ code
>> analysis option. I get
>> the error
>>
>> Error 1 fatal error C1085: Cannot write precompiled header file:
>> 'Release\openmp.pchast': Insufficient system resources exist to complete
>> the requested
>> service. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 8\VC\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h 710
>
>If this is a project that you have upgraded, you need to "clean" the project
>or perform a complete rebuild.
>
>-Pete

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com