From: Bill Garber on

"Spiro Trikaliotis" <usenet-200901(a)spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote in message news:slrnhu3hb1.rdk.usenet-200901(a)news.trikaliotis.net...
> Hello,
>
> just to get the history right:
>
> Jonno Downes wrote:
>
>> The "canonical" ethernet device for c64 is the "RR-NET"
> [...]
>> There are various stand-alone "clones" of the RR-NET,
>
> In facth, the RR-NET is a clone of TFE (link already given by Markus
> Grob: http://www.dunkels.com/adam/tfe/). Unfortunately, because of the
> way the RR clockport (where the RR-NET is connected to) works, the
> address decoding had to be changed. Thus, the RR-NET is not a drop-in
> replacement for the TFE, programs have to be changed slightly.
>
> It seems the original is forgotten, but the clone is considered being
> the original. Weird world.

In this case, where would I find the software already ready to work
with the

From: Bill Garber on

"Spiro Trikaliotis" <usenet-200901(a)spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote in message news:slrnhu3hb1.rdk.usenet-200901(a)news.trikaliotis.net...
> Hello,
>
> just to get the history right:
>
> Jonno Downes wrote:
>
>> The "canonical" ethernet device for c64 is the "RR-NET"
> [...]
>> There are various stand-alone "clones" of the RR-NET,
>
> In facth, the RR-NET is a clone of TFE (link already given by Markus
> Grob: http://www.dunkels.com/adam/tfe/). Unfortunately, because of the
> way the RR clockport (where the RR-NET is connected to) works, the
> address decoding had to be changed. Thus, the RR-NET is not a drop-in
> replacement for the TFE, programs have to be changed slightly.

Ok, in that regard, where would the 64NIC+ ready software be located?

Thank you,

Bill

From: Leif Bloomquist on
"Spiro Trikaliotis" <usenet-200901(a)spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote in message

> It seems the original is forgotten, but the clone is considered being
> the original. Weird world.

Spiro, thanks for the clarification. Most of the regulars know that, but
it's good to get the story straight.

It's probably more correct to call the RR-Net (and its oddball register
mapping) the "de facto standard". It wasn't the original, but the first to
be commercially available.

From: Leif Bloomquist on
"Bill Garber" <willy46pa(a)garberstreet.com> wrote in message

> Ok, in that regard, where would the 64NIC+ ready software be located?

Bill, the 64NIC+ can be used either in RR-Net or TFE mode (selected with a
jumper or switch). So any software written for either cartridge will also
work on the 64NIC+.

-Leif

From: Bill Garber on

"Leif Bloomquist" <spam(a)127.0.0.6400> wrote in message news:loWdnQ2yIpJCfXzWnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d(a)supernews.com...
> "Bill Garber" <willy46pa(a)garberstreet.com> wrote in message news:FMydnczH8d3RQnzWnZ2dnUVZ7vidnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>
>> Ok, in that regard, where would the 64NIC+ ready software be located?
>
> Bill, the 64NIC+ can be used either in RR-Net or TFE mode (selected with a jumper or switch). So any software written for either
> cartridge will also work on the 64NIC+.

Leif,

Thank you very much for the reminder. I knew that was the reason I chose
that cartridge. Sometimes when you are doing 23,456 things at once it's
hard to remember what you have. 8^)

Bill

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3