From: Brian V on
Is there ever a limit to how many hard-drives you want to internally install
into a computer?

I understand you need a certain amount or ports on your motherboard and the
connectors from the power supply or additional ones from an expansion slot.

eg: Can I put a 1.5 terabyte drive into an older computer if I really wanted
to? Or if the computer had 6 ports and six connectors, can I put in 1.5Tb x 6?
From: DL on
Not enough info;
Your bios would need to support large drives and you psu would need the
capacity to power them.
And what does older PC mean

From: philo on
Brian V wrote:
> Is there ever a limit to how many hard-drives you want to internally install
> into a computer?
>
> I understand you need a certain amount or ports on your motherboard and the
> connectors from the power supply or additional ones from an expansion slot.
>
> eg: Can I put a 1.5 terabyte drive into an older computer if I really wanted
> to? Or if the computer had 6 ports and six connectors, can I put in 1.5Tb x 6?

The main problem is that with an older mobo
the bios will not support over 137 gigs

http://www.48bitlba.com/

of course you can install a PCI SATA card and get support for 4 large drives

here is an example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020

There are even 6 port cards avail

but it may be cheaper to buy two, 4 port cards

Also...if you are going to use six harddrives
you will need a pretty decent power supply

with 9TB of data avail
chances are you can stop using floppies now <G>
From: Shenan Stanley on
Brian V wrote:
> Is there ever a limit to how many hard-drives you want to
> internally install into a computer?
>
> I understand you need a certain amount or ports on your motherboard
> and the connectors from the power supply or additional ones from an
> expansion slot.
>
> eg: Can I put a 1.5 terabyte drive into an older computer if I
> really wanted to? Or if the computer had 6 ports and six
> connectors, can I put in 1.5Tb x 6?

If the motherboard/BIOS supports the drives and you have enough *power* for
them and connectors/cables (including power) - you certainly can. In some
cases - you can get around BIOS limitations with software or by purchasing
additional hardware (internal drive controller cards). For all practical
purposes - the limitation is hardware.

The issue comes with how you setup these drives, what you can use them for,
etc. FAT32, NTFS, etc. Why you want that many large drives is another
point you want to consider. RAID them tegther to make a bunch of storage or
for data redundancy or for performance reasons?

How about a specific scenario you are looking at so someone could give you
more directed advice?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Paul on
Brian V wrote:
> Is there ever a limit to how many hard-drives you want to internally install
> into a computer?
>
> I understand you need a certain amount or ports on your motherboard and the
> connectors from the power supply or additional ones from an expansion slot.
>
> eg: Can I put a 1.5 terabyte drive into an older computer if I really wanted
> to? Or if the computer had 6 ports and six connectors, can I put in 1.5Tb x 6?

There are no limits, only details to worry about.

If I wanted to install a 1.5TB drive in an older computer, I'd probably be
looking for a good SATA card to install with it. Alternately, you can get
a bridge adapter, to convert SATA to PATA, then use a PATA card such as
an Ultra133 TX2. It supports 48 bit LBA, so could handle a 1.5TB drive.
I use Promise cards like that, in machines like my old 440BX based machine.

For internally housed drives, startup current is an issue. A hard drive
draws 2.5 amps from the 12V rail for the first ten seconds. I've seen at
least one custom tower case design, that had 18-20 drives or so, and you
can see that 20*2.5amps = 50 amps. So a hefty supply would be needed
to help spin all the drives up simultaneously. Back in the old days,
a person could use SCSI drives, and they had a "staggered spin" feature
to reduce the impact on the power supply. The case that had all the
drives in it, used two power supplies. But in the current day, you can
find monster supplies that could power 20 drives with ease, all by themselves.
1000W power supplies are available if you want them.

You can use chains of Firewire drives, SAS drives have expansion features,
USB external drives are available, there are even networked drives (Ethernet
interface). So you don't have to place all the drives inside the computer.
By distributing the drives, eventually you'll get to the point where
AC power is an issue. Or finding enough plugs for all the wall adapters etc.

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Lifecam VX-5000 video static