From: Tixy on
On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:44 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> Anyone know the best way to completely back up Evolutions files mail,
> contacts etc. There does not seem to be a way built in. Will gladly be
> proven wrong. I, lost all my files 2 times in the last few years & its a
> PITA.

Isn't that what "Backup Settings" in the "File" menu does?

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/\ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 12:44:22 John W Foster wrote:
> Anyone know the best way to completely back up Evolutions files mail,
> contacts etc. There does not seem to be a way built in. Will gladly be
> proven wrong. I, lost all my files 2 times in the last few years & its a
> PITA.
> John

Not sure if Evolution has anything built in, but, you can 'always' backup a
directory to restore later, ie '.evolution'.

I use rsync + cron to backup stuff.

--
Peace,

Greg

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Tixy <debianuser(a)tixy.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:44 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>> Anyone know the best way to completely back up Evolutions files mail,
>> contacts etc. There does not seem to be a way built in. Will gladly be
>> proven wrong. I, lost all my files 2 times in the last few years & its a
>> PITA.
>
> Isn't that what "Backup Settings" in the "File" menu does?

On debian at least, this is a plugin. Not sure what package its in.
Don't think this is built into evolution itself.

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 16:51 -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Tixy <debianuser(a)tixy.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:44 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> >> Anyone know the best way to completely back up Evolutions files mail,
> >> contacts etc. There does not seem to be a way built in. Will gladly be
> >> proven wrong. I, lost all my files 2 times in the last few years & its a
> >> PITA.
> >
> > Isn't that what "Backup Settings" in the "File" menu does?
> >

> On debian at least, this is a plugin. Not sure what package its in.
> Don't think this is built into evolution itself.

Ah, I didn't realise it wasn't built in.

Anyway, all it seems to do is zip up ~/.evolution and ~/.camel_certs
(which a normal backup of a home directory would include anyway ;-)

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/\ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:44 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> Anyone know the best way to completely back up Evolutions files mail,
> contacts etc. There does not seem to be a way built in. Will gladly be
> proven wrong. I, lost all my files 2 times in the last few years & its a
> PITA.
> John

The "File -> Backup Settings / Restore Settings" option does exactly
what you need.

It's been there for several years now. I've used it several times.

Just 2 weeks ago I changed from Lenny to Squeeze and all my Evolution
stuff migrated along with me:

on original system:
--> File/Backup Settings

on new system: