From: Laurent BARRAILLE on
Hi,

provision --realm=domgc.iut-nimes.fr --domain=domgc
--adminpass=topsecret --server-role='domain controller'

My test server configuration :

ip : 192.168.2.32
short name : srvsmb4
full name : srvsmb4.domgc.iut-nimes.fr

my /etc/hosts file :

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.2.32 srvsmb4.domgc.iut-nimes.fr srvsmb4

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

my /etc/resolv.conf file :

search domgc.iut-nimes.fr
nameserver 192.168.2.32
nameserver 192.168.2.4

Barraillé Laurent

Le 18/05/2010 11:08, Viatte Frédéric a écrit :
> Hello
>
> Are that someone has an example of the command "provision" that he made himself ?
>
> Because in the "HOWTO" is set "- realm = samdom.example.com - domain = SAMDOM"
>
> but what corresponds "SAMDOM" Because the domain is "example.com" no ?

SAMDOM is the Windows domain.
This is a sub domain of the "example.com" domain

> Thanks

SNIP

>> Because in the "HOWTO" is set "- realm = samdom.example.com - domain =
>> SAMDOM"
>>
>> but what corresponds "SAMDOM" Because the domain is "example.com" no ?
>>
> SAMDOM is the Windows domain.
> This is a sub domain of the "example.com" domain

Well, not really. SAMDOM is the NETBIOS name of the domain, which we
have to use the "way back" machine to Winblows NT4 to come to grips
with it. So, yes the domain IS example.com, and, if you want, you can
do this:

realm = EXAMPLE.COM and have domain = EXAMPLE.

It is also possible to have the domain = EX or TEST and the realm be
EXAMPLE.COM, though I'd not recommend it.

For the most part it is a design issue.

>> Thanks

Hi

2010/5/19 Viatte Frédéric <Frederic.Viatte(a)rpn.ch>:
> Hello
>
> Here is what I put in the end:
>
> . / Setup / provision --realm = DOMAINE.CH --domain = SAMBA --adminpass = Password --server-role = 'domain controller'
>
> And here is what I get after running the command:
>
> Role Server: domain controller
> Hostname: SERVER-TPI
> NetBIOS Domain: SAMBA
> DNS Domain: DOMAINE.CH
> Admin password: xxxxxxx
>
> This could be just?

Yes, I think that can work.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>

De : Michael Wood [esiotrot(a)gmail.com]
Date d'envoi : mardi 18 mai 2010 17:03
À : Viatte Frédéric
Cc : tms3(a)tms3.com; samba(a)lists.samba.org
Objet : Re: [Samba] RE : RE : Example of command ". / Setup / provision"

2010/5/18 Viatte Frédéric <Frederic.Viatte(a)rpn.ch>:
> I do not understand, I will have a hostname and NetBIOS name different?
>
> So
>
> -- Domain = SAMBA
>
> it'll be my name NETBIOS, and
>
> -- Realm = TPI.DOMAINE.CH-SERVER
>
> will my machine name + my domain?

Let's say you have a web server called www.domaine.ch and a mail
server called mail.domaine.ch etc. and then you have a server called
serveur.tpi.domaine.ch and some workstations called
ws1.tpi.domaine.ch, wp2.tpi.domaine.ch etc., then I would do this:

setup/provision --realm=TPI.DOMAINE.CH --domain=TPI
--adminpass=xxxxxxxx --server-role='domain controller'

so your server name is not specified when you run provision.

Then you will have a DNS zone file for tpi.domaine.ch and it will
contain A records for:

serveur IN A 192.168.1.100
ws1 IN A 192.168.1.200
ws2 IN A 192.168.1.201

etc.

The zone for domaine.ch would have A records for www and mail and MX
records etc. You might also have NS records pointing at
serveur.tpi.domaine.ch for the tpi subdomain:

@ IN MX 10 mail
www IN A aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
mail IN A aaa.bbb.ccc.eee
tpi IN NS serveur.tpi.domaine.ch.

but this zone might be hosted by a completely different name server.

Then the workstations should use 192.168.1.100 as their primary DNS server.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>
Ok, its not working yet, I get an error when I open my active directory on the client, and after when I right click on "Active Directory Users and Computers" and "Connect to Domain Controller" then I put the name complete of my server (server-tpi.domaine.ch) and I get another error. I am sending you two pictures errors!

Thank you

2010/5/19 Viatte Frédéric <Frederic.Viatte(a)rpn.ch>:
> Hello
>
> Here is what I put in the end:
>
> . / Setup / provision --realm = DOMAINE.CH --domain = SAMBA --adminpass = Password --server-role = 'domain controller'
>
> And here is what I get after running the command:
>
> Role Server: domain controller
> Hostname: SERVER-TPI
> NetBIOS Domain: SAMBA
> DNS Domain: DOMAINE.CH