From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl(a)gregl.net> wrote:

>BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
>ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
>scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
>(for compatibility with those Excel versions).

Try it in an .xlam, which is the Excel 2007 version of the .xla

FWIW, your problem does not reproduce in my Excel 2007.

--ron
From: Greg Lovern on
When I got home last night, I tried it again, to work on a workaround
until I have a chance to find and fix the bug. To my surprise, it did
NOT repro on my home computer! When I got back here this morning, I
verified that it does repro here.

On both computers, I'm running Excel 2007 SP2, and I was using the
same version of my add-in, with the xla and dll both installed by the
same release package. To repro the problem, in both cases I was using
the same sample .xlsx file.

I have no idea why it works on one computer and not the other.

Greg

From: Greg Lovern on
Sorry, I forgot to add:

If the problem only occured on one computer, I'd be inclined to think
it was a problem with the Excel installation on that computer. But the
problem exists on at least two computers -- the problem was originally
reported to me by a customer, and it was his sample .xlsx file I used
on both of my computers to repro.

So the problem happens on his computer and one of mine, but not on
another computer of mine.

Greg

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:24:46 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl(a)gregl.net> wrote:

>When I got home last night, I tried it again, to work on a workaround
>until I have a chance to find and fix the bug. To my surprise, it did
>NOT repro on my home computer! When I got back here this morning, I
>verified that it does repro here.
>
>On both computers, I'm running Excel 2007 SP2, and I was using the
>same version of my add-in, with the xla and dll both installed by the
>same release package. To repro the problem, in both cases I was using
>the same sample .xlsx file.
>
>I have no idea why it works on one computer and not the other.
>

>Greg

Try saving the file as an .xlsm file.
--ron
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:30:31 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl(a)gregl.net> wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to add:
>
>If the problem only occured on one computer, I'd be inclined to think
>it was a problem with the Excel installation on that computer. But the
>problem exists on at least two computers -- the problem was originally
>reported to me by a customer, and it was his sample .xlsx file I used
>on both of my computers to repro.
>
>So the problem happens on his computer and one of mine, but not on
>another computer of mine.
>
>Greg

I think it has to do with compatibility mode incompatibilities.
--ron