From: El Cheapo El on
I left an Excel document open, not realizing Windows update would be
restarting my computer while I was gone. When I got back, my file had
reopened (autosave), but when I click on a Hyperlink (to a .tif file in the
same folder), I get the message: "cannot open the specified file". This is a
36,000 row document that is worthless without the hyperlinking function. I
went back to the file as backed up yesterday and I get the same result. No
existing hyperlinks will open. If I create a new hyperlink, it works. I
tried backing out of the system updates one at a time, but it had no effect,
so I just reinstalled them. I'm using Office 2007 on Vista Home Premium.
Any help appreciated.
From: El Cheapo on

"El Cheapo" wrote:

> I left an Excel document open, not realizing Windows update would be
> restarting my computer while I was gone. When I got back, my file had
> reopened (autosave), but when I click on a Hyperlink (to a .tif file in the
> same folder), I get the message: "cannot open the specified file". This is a
> 36,000 row document that is worthless without the hyperlinking function. I
> went back to the file as backed up yesterday and I get the same result. No
> existing hyperlinks will open. If I create a new hyperlink, it works. I
> tried backing out of the system updates one at a time, but it had no effect,
> so I just reinstalled them. I'm using Office 2007 on Vista Home Premium.
> Any help appreciated.

Some additional data I've just discovered. When I create a new hyperlink,
it points directly to the file and folder it's stored in. All of the
existing hyperlinks point to:
c:\users\(me)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\excel\(filename). Going to this
folder manually reveals a single file-~arBCD.xar. Is there any way to make
the links point to the correct file other than manually fixing all 36,000 of
them?