From: Wendy Phillips on
Newbie here so I apologize ahead of time for any dumb question(s) I ask...

I jut got a Dell Axim X51 running Windows Mobile 5.0. I am a teacher and
use Excel as my gradebook. Whenever I edit a spreadsheet that I have edited
on my PC (running Excel 2000), I get the following message...

"Unsupported content and formatting may be lost if you save this workbook.
Tap save as to create a copy or replace the file..."

It does this with even the simplest of workbooks (no macros, no formatting,
just a single cell of text data). I can do a save as and write it over the
original workbook but it's a cumbersome process, and I don't know what
formatting and content I may be losing. Is this a result of the desktop
version of Excel I'm using or some converseion setting, or is it the way it
was designed to work.

Would love to hear from anyone experienced with Excel Mobile.

W. Phillips

From: Alan on

"Wendy Phillips" <wphillips(a)answertechnology.com> wrote in message
> Newbie here so I apologize ahead of time for any dumb question(s) I ask...
>
> I jut got a Dell Axim X51 running Windows Mobile 5.0. I am a teacher and
> use Excel as my gradebook. Whenever I edit a spreadsheet that I have
> edited
> on my PC (running Excel 2000), I get the following message...
>
> "Unsupported content and formatting may be lost if you save this workbook.
> Tap save as to create a copy or replace the file..."
>
> It does this with even the simplest of workbooks (no macros, no
> formatting,
> just a single cell of text data). I can do a save as and write it over
> the
> original workbook but it's a cumbersome process, and I don't know what
> formatting and content I may be losing. Is this a result of the desktop
> version of Excel I'm using or some converseion setting, or is it the way
> it
> was designed to work.
>
> Would love to hear from anyone experienced with Excel Mobile.
>
> W. Phillips

Why not try a better featured program like planmaker? It supports nearly all
features of desktop excel.

From: Alan on

"Alan" <alan(a)hidden.email> wrote in message

> "Wendy Phillips" <wphillips(a)answertechnology.com> wrote in message
>> Newbie here so I apologize ahead of time for any dumb question(s) I
>> ask...
>>
>> I jut got a Dell Axim X51 running Windows Mobile 5.0. I am a teacher and
>> use Excel as my gradebook. Whenever I edit a spreadsheet that I have
>> edited
>> on my PC (running Excel 2000), I get the following message...
>>
>> "Unsupported content and formatting may be lost if you save this
>> workbook.
>> Tap save as to create a copy or replace the file..."
>>
>> It does this with even the simplest of workbooks (no macros, no
>> formatting,
>> just a single cell of text data). I can do a save as and write it over
>> the
>> original workbook but it's a cumbersome process, and I don't know what
>> formatting and content I may be losing. Is this a result of the desktop
>> version of Excel I'm using or some converseion setting, or is it the way
>> it
>> was designed to work.
>>
>> Would love to hear from anyone experienced with Excel Mobile.
>>
>> W. Phillips
>>

> Why not try a better featured program like planmaker? It supports nearly
> all features of desktop excel.

sorry- the link is:
http://www.softmaker.com/english/

From: Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk on
"Wendy Phillips" <wphillips(a)answertechnology.com> wrote in message
> Newbie here so I apologize ahead of time for any dumb question(s) I ask...
>
> I jut got a Dell Axim X51 running Windows Mobile 5.0. I am a teacher and
> use Excel as my gradebook. Whenever I edit a spreadsheet that I have
> edited
> on my PC (running Excel 2000), I get the following message...
>
> "Unsupported content and formatting may be lost if you save this workbook.
> Tap save as to create a copy or replace the file..."
>
> It does this with even the simplest of workbooks (no macros, no
> formatting,
> just a single cell of text data). I can do a save as and write it over
> the
> original workbook but it's a cumbersome process, and I don't know what
> formatting and content I may be losing. Is this a result of the desktop
> version of Excel I'm using or some converseion setting, or is it the way
> it
> was designed to work.
>
> Would love to hear from anyone experienced with Excel Mobile.
>
> W. Phillips

I have the same problem on an O2 Exec running WM5, right pain so I sent the
phone back. Did not find a solution apart from if I saved it to a SD Card
the problem did not exist.
I guess its to do with the bugs in WM5 as I found a few other problems that
I was not willing to put up with hence O2 got the rubbish back.

Ran MS office Pro 2000 and the rather bad WM5 all sorts of issues

I dont get the problem on the old WM PPC software

Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

From: Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! on
Wendy,

It sounds like you have run into one of the limitations of Excel Mobile.
Unfortunately it does not support some of the formatting that your desktop
Excel produces.

As Alan recommended, you may want to investigate SoftMaker's PlanMaker. It
is compatible with Excel files and I personally haven't found an Excel
feature/formula/content that it doesn't support. You can read a review of
it on my site by going to http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch