From: Dan Joseph on
Its good to see we're all playing nice today!

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Php Developer on
Hi Tommy,

The code in the link is traightforward. The problem is you need to install ADOdb.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do it from scratch.

Thanks

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 12:50 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:

> Its good to see we're all playing nice today!

It's still not an excel file but an HTML table sent with an Excel
mime-type. This is just asking for trouble if the user does not use
Excel, as it's exploiting behaviour that looks very particular to Excel
and not ALL spreadsheet software.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

> The code in the link is traightforward. The problem is you need to
> install ADOdb.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to do it from scratch.
>
> Thanks

I think the article/sample uses PEAR's Excel Writer.

http://pear.php.net/package/Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer/
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.fileformats.spreadsheet-excel-writer.spreadsheet-excel-writer-format.setfgcolor.php

From: "Jay Blanchard" on
[snip]
It's still not an excel file but an HTML table sent with an Excel
mime-type. This is just asking for trouble if the user does not use
Excel, as it's exploiting behaviour that looks very particular to Excel
and not ALL spreadsheet software.
[/snip]

This is true, it is exploiting behavior that is particular to Excel. I
was able to do this with Open Office too, even though I didn't fully
bake the code for that.

The article is pretty old and there are other tools that would probably
work a lot better, but the OP asked about Excel and coloring.