From: ILoveMyCorgi on
When I merge an Excel file with various fields/formats, the currency formats
[seven different columns with currency] the Word file displays 70 instead of
$70.00. What do I need to do and in which file?
From: Victor Delta on
"ILoveMyCorgi" <ILoveMyCorgi(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I merge an Excel file with various fields/formats, the currency
> formats
> [seven different columns with currency] the Word file displays 70 instead
> of
> $70.00. What do I need to do and in which file?

Excel formatting only affects how the cell appears in Excel. If the actual
cell contents is 70, that's how it will appear in Word. Not sure if you can
reformat it in Word but you certainly can add '$' in text before the 70 and
'.00' after it.

From: Dave Peterson on
Saved from a previous post:

Lots of times, it's easier to use MSWord for printing and Excel (or some other
database application) as the source.

You may want to read some tips for mailmerge.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

And if you notice problems with the formatting of data (like zipcodes)...

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions here:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CustomizingWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"ddmmyy")
or
=text(a2,"mm:ss.0")
or
=text(a2,"00000")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg>.)

--

Dave Peterson