From: Nbrcruncher on
We are currently using Excel2003 with SAS and we would like to move to
Excel2007 if there are no major issues with PROC Import or Export.

Can anyone attest to having virtually no issues with either of these
functions using Excel2007? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

From: Alan Churchill on
I cannot imagine any possible issue you would have. I use infrequently with
Excel 2007 and have not had an issue. Excel 2007 reads in Excel 2003 w/o a
problem. Since proc export outputs standard Excel workbooks, you should be
safe.

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian
www.savian.net

From: Alan Churchill on
Caveat time.

I only do exporting and not importing into SAS. Excel 2007 uses a completely
different file format (zipped XML) than Excel 2003. Hence, in order to
import Excel 2007 into SAS you would need to save it as an Excel 2003 format
first or save it as something else (tab-delimited). You could probably also
set up an OleDb or ODBC connection to it since SAS shouldn't care.

Excel 2007, IMO, is worth the hassle. It is an incredible tool and certainly
is a strong BI platform.

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian
www.savian.net

From: Reeza on
On Oct 9, 5:20 pm, savian...(a)GMAIL.COM (Alan Churchill) wrote:
> Caveat time.
>
> I only do exporting and not importing into SAS. Excel 2007 uses a completely
> different file format (zipped XML) than Excel 2003. Hence, in order to
> import Excel 2007 into SAS you would need to save it as an Excel 2003 format
> first or save it as something else (tab-delimited). You could probably also
> set up an OleDb or ODBC connection to it since SAS shouldn't care.
>
> Excel 2007, IMO, is worth the hassle. It is an incredible tool and certainly
> is a strong BI platform.
>
> Alan
>
> Alan Churchill
> Savianwww.savian.net

There are some problems simply because Excel 2007 uses the .xlsx
extension which caused me problems. There might be workarounds.
Export works fines, import not so well, and to use some of the nice
features in 2007 you need to save the workbook as XLSX so you can't
just re export your data if something changes. Again there are
workarounds, but it's not as straight forward.

From: Alan Churchill on
Reeza,

I wanted to test out my data management tool and what better than a way to
convert an Excel 2007 file to a SAS dataset from the command line.

The utility can be found here:

http://utilities.savian.net/

The utility installs to Program Files/Savian/ConvertExcelToSas. Execute the
ConvertExcelToSas with a /? Command to see the usage. You also need the Sas
OleDb tool and the SAS Local Provider to make it all happen. All free.

I also updated the demo on sascommunity.org of my Savian Data Management
tool to illustrate how to do this in code.

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian
www.savian.net

On Oct 9, 5:20 pm, savian...(a)GMAIL.COM (Alan Churchill) wrote:
> Caveat time.
>
> I only do exporting and not importing into SAS. Excel 2007 uses a
completely
> different file format (zipped XML) than Excel 2003. Hence, in order to
> import Excel 2007 into SAS you would need to save it as an Excel 2003
format
> first or save it as something else (tab-delimited). You could probably
also
> set up an OleDb or ODBC connection to it since SAS shouldn't care.
>
> Excel 2007, IMO, is worth the hassle. It is an incredible tool and
certainly
> is a strong BI platform.
>
> Alan
>
> Alan Churchill