From: Satindra Chakravorty on
I believe the 'sheet_interval' option will do the trick. For example,
if you have several PROC steps and you want the output from each to
populate a different worksheet in the same workbook, you could add
something like...
ods tagsets.excelxp file='...' options(sheet_interval='proc');
and a second line that goes something like this...
ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name='S1');
PROC ....;
run;
ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name='S2');
PROC ....;
run;
ods tagsets.excelxp close;

Satindra.

From: Mary on
Also note that I did try the suggestion on page 14 here not to close the =
tagset, but just to put in a new tagset statement with options of a new =
sheet name:

ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name=3D'age65to84_nonsmoking');

http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/ods/odsmarkup/p85-30_020205.pdf

However, this did not work, because I have intervening ODS output =
statements in my program, so it outputted all the little ODS data sets =
it created to my excel spreadsheet, which I did not want! Really what =
I want is to specify when to reopen the same file without having it =
delete the contents, then start writing to it on a new sheet, only doing =
a replace if the sheet already exists, but not replacing the whole =
workbook. =20

-Mary
----- Original Message -----=20
file=3D'C:\Work_Activities\crosstabs_results_14.xls'=20
style=3Dstatistical
options(sheet_name=3D'age12vs11_all');
run;
proc print noobs data=3Dresults;
run;
ods tagsets.excelxp close;
run;

But I find if I put in the same filename with a different sheet, it =
deletes=20
the previous file instead of adding a sheet to it. Is there a way to =
get=20
it to add sheets to an existing file rather so I don't have to put a=20
different file name down for each sheet that I want?

-Mary=20
From: Mary on
Satindra,

Will this work even if I have intervening ODS OUTPUT statements in my =
program? I just tried the sheet name only (without the sheet_interval) =
but got sheets every time I specified an ODS OUTPUT file. =20

-Mary
----- Original Message -----=20
I believe the 'sheet_interval' option will do the trick. For example,
if you have several PROC steps and you want the output from each to
populate a different worksheet in the same workbook, you could add
something like...
ods tagsets.excelxp file=3D'...' =
options(sheet_interval=3D'proc');
and a second line that goes something like this...
ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name=3D'S1');
PROC ....;
run;
ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name=3D'S2');

From: Mary on
This does help, but is not exactly what I want since I have an ODS =
OUTPUT statement nested in-between the two sheets that I wanted to =
print, and it does print that as well (though only one sheet per proc, =
which is better than I was getting before with one sheet per ODS output =
file!). =20

I guess that I'll have to decide if it is less work to combine workbooks =
or to delete sheets within one workbook if these are the only choices.

I also noticed that I can't have an "ods_all_ close;" statement nested =
inside, as it will close the tagset as well!

Thanks very much.

-Mary
----- Original Message -----=20

From: yzg9 on
Mary,
Ahh, the wonders of ExcelXP await you!

Two methods may be helpful, one I'm always doing, the other I haven't
tried.

1) Create all of your result datasets, then:

>>ods tagsets.excelxp file='C:\Work_Activities\crosstabs_results_14.xls'
>>style=statistical
>>options(sheet_name='age12vs11_all_1');
>>proc print noobs data=results1;
>>run;

>>options(sheet_name='age12vs11_all_2');
>>proc print noobs data=results2;
>>run;

>>options(sheet_name='age12vs11_all_3');
>>proc print noobs data=results3;
>>run;

>>ods tagsets.excelxp close;
>>run;

2) Look into using the Excel libname engine. You can select the Excel
cells that need to be updated, and use a data step to do the updating.
This is a bit simplified, sorry. This one I haven't done, but read about
it in one of the recent papers on this topic. Let me find it... Paul
Choate's SUGI31 paper "DeMystifying SAS Libname Engine in MSExcel" was
one I read.

John Gerstle
MS Applied Neuroscience, MS Applied Statistics
Biostatistician
Northrop Grumman
CDC Information Technological Support Contract (CITS)
NCHSTP \DHAP \HICSB \Research and Dissemination Team
Phone: 404-639-3980
Fax: 404-639-2980
yzg9 at cdc dot gov