From: RAM on
I am in the process of transitioning from Exchange 2003 SP2 to
Exchange 2010.

I've set up 2 servers running Exchange 2010 with combined Hub
Transport and Client Access roles. I am using Windows Load Balancing
for the CAS array. My understanding is that the Hub Transport roles
will automatically load balance.

In front of these servers I have a firewall and an email filtering
server. The firewall routes all SMTP traffic to the email filter
server. The email filter server then routes allowed mail to my
existing Exchange 2003 front-end server, which then delivers the mail
to the appropriate back-end mailbox server.

My question is this: where (what ip) do I have the email filter server
route mail for Exchange 2010? The CAS array IP or one of the Hub
Transports? Do I need to set up another Windows Load Balancing
"cluster" for the Hub Transports? (can I even do that?) Or do I need a
hardware load balancer for the Hubs, and route the mail to that IP?

Thanks in advance.
-RAM
From: Andrew Hodgson on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 07:55:52 -0700 (PDT), RAM <rmilbrand(a)gfnet.com>
wrote:

>I am in the process of transitioning from Exchange 2003 SP2 to
>Exchange 2010.
>
>I've set up 2 servers running Exchange 2010 with combined Hub
>Transport and Client Access roles. I am using Windows Load Balancing
>for the CAS array. My understanding is that the Hub Transport roles
>will automatically load balance.
>
>In front of these servers I have a firewall and an email filtering
>server. The firewall routes all SMTP traffic to the email filter
>server. The email filter server then routes allowed mail to my
>existing Exchange 2003 front-end server, which then delivers the mail
>to the appropriate back-end mailbox server.
>
>My question is this: where (what ip) do I have the email filter server
>route mail for Exchange 2010? The CAS array IP or one of the Hub
>Transports? Do I need to set up another Windows Load Balancing
>"cluster" for the Hub Transports? (can I even do that?) Or do I need a
>hardware load balancer for the Hubs, and route the mail to that IP?

I would start by looking at this article:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/load-balancing-exchange-2007-sp1-hub-transport-servers-windows-network-load-balancing-technology-part1.html

Thanks.
Andrew.

Pages: 1
Prev: MX record
Next: Message size limit settings/Ex2010