From: jad on
Hi!

Hope you can clear this one up for me....

We have exchange set up with our domain and all is good.
We need to add a second domain that will eventually be our primary address.
This is hosted at a cheapy ISP.
I have amended the mail A record to our mailserver IP. Do I need to create
an MX record for the new domain too?
Our MX record for our current domain is mailgate.ourolddomain.com. Do I need
to create an MX record for the new one as mail.ournewdomain.com. ??

thanks in advance for the help!

From: "Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" email a on
"jad" <noreply(a)newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Hope you can clear this one up for me....
>
> We have exchange set up with our domain and all is good.
> We need to add a second domain that will eventually be our primary
> address. This is hosted at a cheapy ISP.
> I have amended the mail A record to our mailserver IP. Do I need to create
> an MX record for the new domain too?
> Our MX record for our current domain is mailgate.ourolddomain.com. Do I
> need to create an MX record for the new one as mail.ournewdomain.com. ??
>
> thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, you need an MX record for any domain that you want to be able to
receive SMTP email.

Lee.

--
______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.leederbyshire.com
lee a.t leederbyshire d.o.t c.o.m
______________________________________

From: jad on
So if our current mailserver is mailgate.ourolddomain.com do I set the MX
record for the new domain to that? (As that is where we want the mail
delivered and we are retaining that domain too.)

thanks!

"Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" <email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m> wrote in
message news:%23KBC4Z56KHA.1888(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

From: "Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" email a on
You could do that. Or you could start creating the correct records for the
new domain. As long as the name in the MX record resolves to the correct IP
address, it will work. Have you created the A record for the host named
'mail' in the yournewdomain.com domain? Does it point to the correct IP
address? If so, then I would use that in your MX record.

From: jad on
Yes - I have created the new A record for mail with the IP address of the
mailserver for the new domain. So if I put in mail.mynewdomain.com. as the
MX record then this would resolve to the IP address in the A record?

thanks for your help!

"Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" <email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m> wrote in
message news:%23tSPlo56KHA.3184(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...