From: Bryan L on
For years, I've used a weekly backup on my SBS 2003 R2 server, configured
via the Server Management Backup Wizard. This ensures my transaction logs
are cleared each week, and I archive one backup every 6 weeks as a permanent
archive.

My last good weekly backup occurred a month ago. I've started poking into
the failed backups a couple of times to try resolving it, but I haven't had
much time to spend on it 'till now. I image all my servers daily, so my
images serve as my primary backups.

The error seems to occur while backing up the Exchange Information store.
The relevant part of the backup log shows the following:
---------------------------------
Backup started on 7/18/2010 at 12:54 PM.
The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 7/18/2010 at 12:55 PM.
Directories: 0
Files: 1
Time: 59 seconds
----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

My Application log contains a series of events with ID 474, that state the
following:
===================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 474
Date: 7/4/2010
Time: 12:08:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SBSSERVER1
Information Store (2100) First Storage Group: The database page read from
the file "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" at offset 308006912
(0x00000000125bd000) (database page 75196 (0x125BC)) for 4096 (0x00001000)
bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch. The expected
checksum was 5553275816854002527 (0x4d1132eed3599b5f) and the actual
checksum was 2301093048451484806 (0x1fef1fef94124c86). The read operation
will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06). If this condition persists then
please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely
due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further
assistance diagnosing the problem.

===================================
No hardware, drivers, or firmware have been modified in quite a while so I'm
not sure what set this off.

If I have database corruption, I'm thinking I'll need to go back 4 or 5
weeks to the last known good Exchange backup, restore it, and then replay
the transaction logs to bring my DB current. However, I've never done that
before and I'm wary of rushing into it. Are there better alternatives?

Further complicating matters is that fact that I'm going on vacation in
three days. At the rate the transaction logs are filling up the drive, the
server may run out of space before I'm back two weeks later, so I need to
come up with something. I now have 20GB worth of transaction log files on
the server, with only 8GB of free space remaining. I'll likely run out of
space about 10 days from now.

Thanks in advance for all responses!

BJ

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Brian:

if you run the 474 error through www.eventid.net you can see there are a
few causes for this, but iirc the fix is not too bad. If you need me/us
to help, post back, but I think the answer lies there.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: Bryan L on
Thanks for the quick reply Larry!

I've looked over the responses to this issue at EventID.Net, and the most
helpful response was by J.M. Sanchez, which you can see here:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=474&eventno=2214&source=ESE&phase=1

However, I haven't been able to discover where this Zero Deleted Messages
setting is configured so I can disable it. It sounds like it's configured
as part of the backup process, but since the SBS Wizard handles most of the
under-the-hood work for the backup, I'm not sure how to alter this.

Also, he mentioned that an "easy" way to to solve the problem is to create a
new message store and move my mailboxes there. Doesn't sound like a trivial
undertaking to me, so I welcome any insight into this!

From: Bryan L on
Incidentally, I just tried to manually run a backup of just the Information
Store using ntbackup. It failed less than a minute in with the same error
messages I indicated in my original post.

Darn it.