Prev: Event ID 514
Next: owa
From: Ankit Patel on
I want to check daily backup restore in VMware exchange2007 server.
I install exchange2007 in vmware owa is also working ok.mail.abc.com
which is our real mail domain.
but i can not restore backup which is done from original mail server.
so kindly give steps for doing it.

Ankit Vahnesha.
From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Going from physical to VM environment will require VMware Converter.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

From: randomfire on
On Jan 2, 4:28 am, Ankit Patel <ankit2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to check daily backup restore in VMware exchange2007 server.
> I install exchange2007 in vmware owa is also working ok.mail.abc.com
> which is our real mail domain.
> but i can not restore backup which is done from original mail server.
> so kindly give steps for doing it.
>
> Ankit Vahnesha.

Ankit, I understand what you are trying to do, you wan to be able to
take the full backups of your production databases of your physical
exchange server and restore them and bring them online on your VMWare
Exchasnge server because exchange 2007 doesnt have dependency on
server name anymore to restore a database to.

So obviously your physical server and vm server are 2 different
exchange servers in the same organization correct?

And they are both named something different correct?

And you are not trying to restore and bring the databases online in
vmware exchange server while your production physical exchange server
is already online with the same stores and databases correct? If so
how are you accomplshing this?

Or are you restoring the production databse and mounting it into a
recovery group on the vm exchange server?

Exchange will not allow you to restore the database on the vm server
if your physical server is online with those same databases mounted,
as both those servers are in the same org.

THe scenario hat exchange 2007 supports which is no server name
dependency to restore exchnage databases is only in the cas eof a
disaster an your production exchange server physically dies for what
ever reason, then you no longer like previous versions have to build
another server with the same name and other things being same etc to
restore the databases from the dead exchange server. In exchange 2007
if your production exchange server dies and you have another exchange
server in that org in that scenario since your production server is
already dead and offline you will be able to take the backups of the
dead production server databases and restore them on the remaining
exchange server even though it is a different exchange server name.

is that what you are trying to accomplish or are you trying to just
restore the production databases to your vm server every day to test
to see if your backups are good? if thats what you are trying to do it
wont work.

thx

Pages: 1
Prev: Event ID 514