From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> He wants to run system commands off a web page. He wants his poison.
>>> Give it to him.
>>
>> No, that is certainly NOT how things work around here!
>>
>> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id383614>
>
> That is not how I meant it. Sometimes, nothing else would work. Swifty
> says he owns everything from the server to the local system. He says he
> knows what he is doing.

This is a place where many people read. Even if the OP might be aware of
the repercussions of a low security setting, another person reading the
thread might not. Therefore, if you provide potentially harmfuly advice,
you should attach a notice of warning with it. Which I had to do because
you did not.

> Browsers for the Windows platform are Win32 programs

It has been a while since I read clueless nonsense of that magnitude.

> and internally deal with a lot of ActiveX/COM. However, they do not let
> web pages interact with ActiveX/COM.

You don't know what you are talking about.

>>> Tell me how to do it in Firefox.
>>
>> AFAIK there is no ActiveX plugin that is compatible with newer versions
>> of Firefox. There is one for Firefox 1.5- and other corresponding
>> Mozilla-based browsers.¹ Whether it can deal with the Windows Scripting
>> Host I do not know.
>>
>> However, the point was that it is not really a matter of the browser; in
>> particular, all Windows browsers that can use MSHTML should support
>> that.
>> [...]
>
> If I remember correctly manufacturers of non-IE browsers refused to
> support ActiveX, VBScript, Wscript, and other Microsoft extensions.

You "remember" incorrectly. There are *a lot of* browsers not bearing the
Internet Explorer label that use MSHTML. Get yourself informed.

>> And, why only 32-bit Windows?
>>
>> I said 32_+_ to include 64,because I don't know of a Windows Scripting
>> Host for 16-bit Windows. Do you?
>
> Wscript was first released for NT4 and Win95.

And those are not 32-bit operating systems?

> 32-bit or 64-bit it did not really matter. Older OS had INF and batch
> file scripting.

I rest my case.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> This is a place where many people read. Even if the OP might be aware of
> the repercussions of a low security setting, another person reading the
> thread might not. Therefore, if you provide potentially harmfuly advice,
> you should attach a notice of warning with it. Which I had to do because
> you did not.

Agreed.

>> Browsers for the Windows platform are Win32 programs
>
> It has been a while since I read clueless nonsense of that magnitude.

Your are not familiar with VB, VC++, Delphi, C++Builder...? Or, .NET.
You are not familiar with their lingo? Maybe I should have said Win32+
for you.

>> and internally deal with a lot of ActiveX/COM. However, they do not let
>> web pages interact with ActiveX/COM.
>
> You don't know what you are talking about.

Most Windows browsers are native desktop applications, like Notepad or
Windows Media Player. Their code deal with ActiveX/COM. Web page code
(HTML+JavaScript) cannot make ActiveX/COM calls in non-IE browsers. They
probably will need something extra such as Java, Sliverlight, Google
Gears, etc. In IE, as I had shown earlier, HTML+JavaScript code that can
access ActiveX/COM and WScript, because everything that is needed by IE
is already installed in the OS.

>>> AFAIK there is no ActiveX plugin that is compatible with newer versions
>>> of Firefox. There is one for Firefox 1.5- and other corresponding
>>> Mozilla-based browsers.¹ Whether it can deal with the Windows Scripting
>>> Host I do not know.
>>>
>>> However, the point was that it is not really a matter of the browser; in
>>> particular, all Windows browsers that can use MSHTML should support
>>> that.
>>> [...]

Tell me how to launch Windows applications and DOS commands in Firefox
or Opera or Chrome or Safari. Or, cut the BS. When you first said it was
possible, I really thought I was unaware of something that was common
knowledge. I thought I could learn something from you. Now, it seems it
was all bluff. Please be more honest.

>> If I remember correctly manufacturers of non-IE browsers refused to
>> support ActiveX, VBScript, Wscript, and other Microsoft extensions.
>
> You "remember" incorrectly. There are *a lot of* browsers not bearing the
> Internet Explorer label that use MSHTML. Get yourself informed.

Sure there are lots of browsers that wrap IE browser control such as
Crazy Browser. For Mozilla, IETab addon does the same. The browser in
the viewport is still IE.

Non-IE browsers refers to Mozilla (Firefox, Seamonkey), Webkit (Chrome,
Safari), KHTML (Konqueror) or Opera. You have not heard of them? Their
manufacturers decided not to support proprietary and non-standard
Microsoft extensions. If your "a lot of browsers" includes them, then
please let us show how they will run ActiveX (signed and unsigned),
VBScript, or WScript natively without any plugins.

>>> And, why only 32-bit Windows?
>>>
>>> I said 32_+_ to include 64,because I don't know of a Windows Scripting
>>> Host for 16-bit Windows. Do you?
>>
>> Wscript was first released for NT4 and Win95.
>
> And those are not 32-bit operating systems?
>
>> 32-bit or 64-bit it did not really matter. Older OS had INF and batch
>> file scripting.
>
> I rest my case.

You turn the issue on its head.

--
Bwig Zomberi

From: Jorge on
On Apr 7, 10:45 am, Swifty <steve.j.sw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that JavaScript goes out of its way to make it impossible for
> local commands to be executed, but in a situation where I own
> everything; the server, the webpage, the local system, the browser
> (and anything else that you can think of), is there a way to execute a
> local command?
>
> To give you the specifics: The webpage is the source control for all
> the HTML and CGI scripts on our department server (remote from me/my
> PC). After I've checked out the file that I want to work on, it would
> be nice if that file could be opened on my local system. To do this,
> the JavaScript running on my local system would have to execute a
> command such as:
>
> "C:\Program Fies\Editor\Edit.exe" "L:\path\to\file\filename"
>
> I realise that I'll probably have to make some adjustments to my
> browser to accommodate this, but I prefer to keep these to a minimum,
> as I use all sorts of different browsers, and I'd never be certain
> which one I'd be using.
>
> If it helps, I could easily create a CGI script to run under apache on
> my local system, and that could be used as the mechanism that actually
> issues the host command. So the JavaScript running on my local PC
> could issue some sort of httprequest to my local apache to cause the
> editor to launch.

In the Macs, and I guess in any other *nix OS, apps can register their
own custom url scheme handlers so that, from the browser, I can
command e.g. TextMate (my text editor) to open a file with this url:
"txmt://open/?url=file://path/to/file/file.txt", or see man page with
"man:ls". Many other apps and system services have their own custom
url scheme handlers. I suppose Windozes has a similar thing. I would
try with a google search, such as http://google.com/search?q=custom+url+scheme+handler+how+to

HTH,
--
Jorge.
From: Dave on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> Tell me how to launch Windows applications and DOS commands in Firefox

I don't know if this will be of any interest to you, but I run .exe .bat
..vbs and anything else I want from Firefox on the local file system
using a custom protocol handler.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+protocol+is+not+associated+with+any+program

Using this technique I have incorporated all the scripts used for
re-building and re-uploading my internet and intranet sites directly
onto their html pages (as buttons, or links) so that I no longer need to
leave Firefox or open Explorer at the folder in question.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:

>>> Browsers for the Windows platform are Win32 programs

You have destroyed the context.

>> It has been a while since I read clueless nonsense of that magnitude.
>
> Your are not familiar with VB, VC++, Delphi, C++Builder...? Or, .NET.
> You are not familiar with their lingo? Maybe I should have said Win32+
> for you.

Or maybe you should have been in IT before Windows 95 was released.

>>> and internally deal with a lot of ActiveX/COM. However, they do not let
>>> web pages interact with ActiveX/COM.
>>
>> You don't know what you are talking about.
>
> Most Windows browsers are native desktop applications, like Notepad or
> Windows Media Player. Their code deal with ActiveX/COM. Web page code
> (HTML+JavaScript) cannot make ActiveX/COM calls in non-IE browsers.

Browsers for the "Windows platform" include MSHTML-based browsers.
But your statement is wrong anyway. Take Netscape 8, for example.

> They probably will need something extra such as Java, Sliverlight, Google
> Gears, etc.

Or they won't.

> In IE, as I had shown earlier, HTML+JavaScript code that can
> access ActiveX/COM and WScript, because everything that is needed by IE
> is already installed in the OS.

You want to try to understand that it does not matter whether it is IE.

> Tell me how to launch Windows applications and DOS commands in Firefox
> or Opera or Chrome or Safari.

You miss the point. Opera uses Presto, Chrome and Safari both use WebKit.

> Or, cut the BS. When you first said it was possible, I really thought I
> was unaware of something that was common knowledge. I thought I could
> learn something from you. Now, it seems it was all bluff. Please be more
> honest.

You must be kidding. I have told you what the requirements are. It is up
to you know to find at least one more browser that meets it. And it is not
that hard to find. In case you did not notice, the key word here is
"MSHTML".

>>> If I remember correctly manufacturers of non-IE browsers refused to
>>> support ActiveX, VBScript, Wscript, and other Microsoft extensions.
>>
>> You "remember" incorrectly. There are *a lot of* browsers not bearing
>> the Internet Explorer label that use MSHTML. Get yourself informed.
>
> Sure there are lots of browsers that wrap IE browser control such as
> Crazy Browser.

They do not "wrap IE browser control", they use MSHTML as layout engine.
All those browsers very probably have built-in ActiveX/COM support.

> [snip nonsense]

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last