From: Bwig Zomberi on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Blah blah blah

I started with DOS. You probably started with the Von Neumann machine.

Come up something like VK did. It was truly enlightening. If not, I will
have to ignore your bluff. If you can do that, then stick to yelling at
newcomers about quoting, validating, etc.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> [snipped]

Dave's ingenious solution solves Swifty's problem. I am still waiting
for your Firefox solution, if you have any.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Swifty on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:47:49 -0700 (PDT), Jorge
<jorge(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:

>In the Macs, and I guess in any other *nix OS, apps can register their
>own custom url scheme handlers so that, from the browser, I can
>command e.g. TextMate (my text editor) to open a file with this url:
>"txmt://open/?url=file://path/to/file/file.txt", or see man page with
>"man:ls".

This was the perfect solution for me. It was easy enough to implement
an "edit:" protocol in my browser, and change all references to files
in my webpages to <A HREF="edit:filename>filename</A>.

Thanks, Jorge!

So I've now drifted completely off topic, as usual.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Øyvind Sean Kinsey on
On 12.04.2010 12:25, Swifty wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:47:49 -0700 (PDT), Jorge
> <jorge(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
>> In the Macs, and I guess in any other *nix OS, apps can register their
>> own custom url scheme handlers so that, from the browser, I can
>> command e.g. TextMate (my text editor) to open a file with this url:
>> "txmt://open/?url=file://path/to/file/file.txt", or see man page with
>> "man:ls".
>
> This was the perfect solution for me. It was easy enough to implement
> an "edit:" protocol in my browser, and change all references to files
> in my webpages to<A HREF="edit:filename>filename</A>.
>
> Thanks, Jorge!
>
> So I've now drifted completely off topic, as usual.

Hm, I guess you didn't see my reply at 04/07?

In comp.lang.javascript message
<c9d2db5a-595a-4f7d-b400-848abcf8d1c2(a)a38g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>
on 07.04.2010 13:31, Sean Kinsey wrote:
> On Apr 7, 10:45 am, Swifty<steve.j.sw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> > If it helps, I could easily create a CGI script to run under
apache on
>> > my local system, and that could be used as the mechanism that
actually
>> > issues the host command. So the JavaScript running on my local PC
>> > could issue some sort of httprequest to my local apache to cause the
>> > editor to launch.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steve
Swifthttp://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.htmlhttp://www.ringers.org.uk
> I guess you could register a custom protocol handler for this, e.g.
> checkout:, and then you could just set the location to
checkout://L:\path....

From: Jorge on
On Apr 12, 12:25 pm, Swifty <steve.j.sw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:47:49 -0700 (PDT), Jorge
> <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> >In the Macs, and I guess in any other *nix OS, apps can register their
> >own custom url scheme handlers so that, from the browser, I can
> >command e.g. TextMate (my text editor) to open a file with this url:
> >"txmt://open/?url=file://path/to/file/file.txt", or see man page with
> >"man:ls".
>
> This was the perfect solution for me. It was easy enough to implement
> an "edit:" protocol in my browser, and change all references to files
> in my webpages to <A HREF="edit:filename>filename</A>.

I'm glad to know. And most likely Sean Kinsey and Dave too, as they
proposed exactly the same solution... :-)

> Thanks, Jorge!

You're welcome.
--
Jorge.