From: spamme0 on
Paul wrote:

Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the usb 2.0 enhanced host
controller?

I've got a Fry's Great Quality ZX-5360 laptop.
Has the VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
I don't have the recovery disks.
Fry's can't support it.
ECS can't support it.
VIA drivers don't help.
I've even tried several other related drivers with no success.
I get no ENHANCED in the device manager list.
No usb 2.0 speed.
"this device can perform faster" dialog when plugging in a 2.0 device.
I have not reloaded XP because there's licensed software on it that I
don't want to lose.

Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the high speed drivers?

Thanks, mike

From: Paul on
spamme0 wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
> Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the usb 2.0 enhanced host
> controller?
>
> I've got a Fry's Great Quality ZX-5360 laptop.
> Has the VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
> I don't have the recovery disks.
> Fry's can't support it.
> ECS can't support it.
> VIA drivers don't help.
> I've even tried several other related drivers with no success.
> I get no ENHANCED in the device manager list.
> No usb 2.0 speed.
> "this device can perform faster" dialog when plugging in a 2.0 device.
> I have not reloaded XP because there's licensed software on it that I
> don't want to lose.
>
> Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the high speed drivers?
>
> Thanks, mike

As of WinXP SP1, Microsoft took control of providing USB2 drivers.
That means the hardware manufacturers were prevented from doing so,
by means of the terms of some license.

The first thing to check, is the BIOS settings. Check to see if USB2
is enabled there.

If I look at my Enhanced entry, the drivers used are

usbehci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbport.sys
hccoin.dll
usbui.dll

These are all on my WinXP installer CD. The files on there are compressed,
and Microsoft changes the last character to an underscore. So, you'd be
looking for usbehci.sy_ for example.

If I look in C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbport.inf, I can see

%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&REV_51.DeviceDesc%=EHCI.Dev,PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&REV_51

so again, the INF file provided with Windows, is looking for VEN 1106
and DEV 3104, which is the VIA USB2 thing.

This is on a system with WinXP SP3.

So something is preventing that device from being detected. I'd start
with the BIOS. I'm not enough of a Windows guy, to be able to tell you
what to look at next, if the BIOS is OK.

When new hardware is installed, you may see some messages at the end of
"setupapi.log". This is a small sample for VIA USB2 (slightly edited to
avoid line wrap).

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&subsys_31041849&rev_90,
pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&subsys_31041849,
pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&cc_0c0320,
pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&cc_0c03
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&rev_90,
pci\ven_1106&dev_3104,
pci\ven_1106&cc_0c0320,
pci\ven_1106&cc_0c03,
pci\ven_1106,pci\cc_0c0320,pci\cc_0c03
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc /s
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [EHCI.Dev] in "c:\windows\inf\usbport.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Set selected driver.

You could also check hidden devices in Device Manager, but I don't know
if a broken USB entry would end up there or not.

Paul
From: Paul on
spamme0 wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
> Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the usb 2.0 enhanced host
> controller?
>
> I've got a Fry's Great Quality ZX-5360 laptop.
> Has the VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
> I don't have the recovery disks.
> Fry's can't support it.
> ECS can't support it.
> VIA drivers don't help.
> I've even tried several other related drivers with no success.
> I get no ENHANCED in the device manager list.
> No usb 2.0 speed.
> "this device can perform faster" dialog when plugging in a 2.0 device.
> I have not reloaded XP because there's licensed software on it that I
> don't want to lose.
>
> Is there any way to FORCE the computer to use the high speed drivers?
>
> Thanks, mike

Also, you can test with an alternate OS, to verify whether the hardware
is visible or not. I use Knoppix (knopper.net), a Linux LiveCD, for doing
maintenance. If you boot such a CD, then use

dmesg, lsusb, lspci

you can get info on what hardware is detected on the motherboard. That
would be a way of seeing whether USB2 was available in Linux. If Linux
detected USB2, then you'd know it was more of a software problem on
Windows.

If you get VEN and DEV info, from things like those Linux commands, you
can look up the codes here.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

In the first of those files, I can see...

1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
3104 USB 2.0

That is how you map from some numbers you may have found, to what
device they may have come from. The numbers in this case are hex.

Device Manager also has those numbers. In WinXP, they added "Details"
as a tab in the device entry, and if you select "Hardware Ids" from
the pulldown menu, you can see the numbers for a device. For
example, a VIA Rev 5 (USB 1.1) block would be Vendor 1106 and
Device 3038.

HTH,
Paul
From: spamme0 on
Paul wrote:
> [...]
> avoid line wrap).
>
> #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s):
> pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&subsys_31041849&rev_90,
> pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&subsys_31041849,
> pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&cc_0c0320,
> pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&cc_0c03
> #-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_1106&dev_3104&rev_90,
> pci\ven_1106&dev_3104,
> pci\ven_1106&cc_0c0320,
> pci\ven_1106&cc_0c03,
> pci\ven_1106,pci\cc_0c0320,pci\cc_0c03
> #-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe"
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc /s
> #I063 Selected driver installs from section [EHCI.Dev] in
> "c:\windows\inf\usbport.inf".
> #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
> #I060 Set selected driver.
>
> You could also check hidden devices in Device Manager, but I don't know
> if a broken USB entry would end up there or not.

Thanks,
Device manager says the usb port is vendor 1106 device 3038
which is listed as a usb1.1 controller.

But the computer spec swears that the ports are usb2.0.
There's even a FAQ entry on the Fry's site that confirms that
the ports are USB2.0 but you have to set the USB mode in the bios
to Auto, which I have done. Tried all possible usb settings in the bios.

The obvious conclusion is that Fry's lied about the spec.

I can't make Knoppix run on this system. It doesn't like the
display and I'm too inexperienced to know why.
But Puppy Linux runs. When I plug in a usb2 flash drive,
dmesg says "new usb full speed device detected".
Puppy doesn't have lsusb.

Oh, well...
thanks, mike
From: Paul on
spamme0 wrote:

> Thanks,
> Device manager says the usb port is vendor 1106 device 3038
> which is listed as a usb1.1 controller.
>
> But the computer spec swears that the ports are usb2.0.
> There's even a FAQ entry on the Fry's site that confirms that
> the ports are USB2.0 but you have to set the USB mode in the bios
> to Auto, which I have done. Tried all possible usb settings in the bios.
>
> The obvious conclusion is that Fry's lied about the spec.
>
> I can't make Knoppix run on this system. It doesn't like the
> display and I'm too inexperienced to know why.
> But Puppy Linux runs. When I plug in a usb2 flash drive,
> dmesg says "new usb full speed device detected".
> Puppy doesn't have lsusb.
>
> Oh, well...
> thanks, mike

In your first post, you claimed Device Manager had

VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
VIA REV 5 OR LATER USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER
VIA USB 2.0 ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER

The last entry, means all ports should have USB 2.0 capability.
If you check details on that last entry, is the device working ?

These are things to check

1) BIOS setting. And since you have an "Enhanced" entry, we know
that is OK.

2) Properly installed USB stack. That is harder to check. If you
check the "setupapi.log" file, you may see pci\ven_1106&dev_3104
being installed somewhere in that file. Usually there are two
entries next to one another, as it looks to me like the driver
installation happens in two stages. If you see installations
happening on different dates, that could happen if you "reset"
the USB stack. Doing a "reset" of the stack is detailed here.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

By removing the entries in Safe Mode, the idea is, that Windows
will reinstall the drivers for USB on the next regular boot.

3) USB2 undoubtedly works at the motherboard level. But any custom
cable assemblies with USB connectors at the end, or even external
hubs or KVMs or the like, may not have USB2 compatible components.
Some wiring assemblies have filter components, which prevent USB2
from working properly. I have a couple Antec computer cases, for
example, where the front ports won't run at USB2 rates (even though
the motherboard does run at USB2). If the hardware attempts it,
all the hardware will see, is CRC errors on the USB packets.
So it would switch back to USB 1.1.

I'd probably agree with calling Fry some bad names, if it weren't for the
fact you have one of these in Device Manager. This tells me your problem
is fixable. They could be totally inept, and install filtering components
on the computer, which prevent proper USB2 signal transmission, but what
are the odds of that happening ? I mean, if they managed to make the
computer work, then they'll also manage to route the USB signals properly
on the motherboard. The motherboard design has a lot of controlled
impedance tracks, and there are lots of other things they could screw
up, which would have caused the computer to crash.