From: bontemps on
We are upgrading our vendor supplied application which requires a new
server and an oracle upgrade. Production data is all contained in a
single schema and dictionary managed user tablespace. I was hoping we
could create a new 11g database and a locally managed user tablespace
with system managed extent sizing AND use export/import to move the
data. Is this possible? Will Oracle want to create the objects in
new database just as they were exported?
From: joel garry on
On Mar 5, 1:23 pm, bontemps <jontan_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are upgrading our vendor supplied application which requires a new
> server and an oracle upgrade.  Production data is all contained in a
> single schema and dictionary managed user tablespace.  I was hoping we
> could create a new 11g database and a locally managed user tablespace
> with system managed extent sizing AND use export/import to move the
> data.  Is this possible?   Will Oracle want to create the objects in
> new database just as they were exported?

Not only possible, but a good idea. Just create users and tablespaces
before the import and do a schema level export, import with ignore
=y. The defaults tend to be ok unless you have some strange app,
whereas other methods like upgrading in place will just leave any old
problems in place. You may want to adjust pctfree on certain tables
if you have a bunch of old data that you won't be updating, then
change it for new data, but just give it a try with defaults and see
if data sizes change. Autoallocate works pretty good if you have a
mix of table volatility and size.

You may also need a full rows=N export for some objects, depending on
your app and data.

Further advice may be forthcoming if you happen to mention the version
you are coming from, and platforms.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.