From: Jim on
I have an Inspiron 1100 vintage 2003 running XP SP3 on which I would like to
use the extended desktop feature with a second monitor. After connecting the
second monitor, I can display on either monitor or both by using the Fn - F8
toggle, so I know the second monitor is working OK. But following the
instructions for using the extended desktop where you can drag windows from
one display to the other, which tell me to go to Control Panel, Display,
Settings, and where it should show icons of two monitors, it only shows one.
I have the latest video driver available, which is from 2005. I have a new
Studio 15 laptop running Windows 7 which works properly - is the Inspiron
1100 just too old?

--
Jim Craig

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/27/2010 6:10 PM, Jim wrote:
> I have an Inspiron 1100 vintage 2003 running XP SP3 on which I would
> like to use the extended desktop feature with a second monitor. After
> connecting the second monitor, I can display on either monitor or both
> by using the Fn - F8 toggle, so I know the second monitor is working OK.
> But following the instructions for using the extended desktop where you
> can drag windows from one display to the other, which tell me to go to
> Control Panel, Display, Settings, and where it should show icons of two
> monitors, it only shows one. I have the latest video driver available,
> which is from 2005. I have a new Studio 15 laptop running Windows 7
> which works properly - is the Inspiron 1100 just too old?

The Inspiron 1100 has an ATI Mobility video card with only 32MB, and I
do not think it is possible to upgrade it to a card with more memory.
32MB may or may not be enough to support the extended desktop feature.
You may do better if you can find an ATI Mobility driver for XP on the
AMD/ATI web site. There is some possibility that Dell released a
cripped ATI driver. But I am not sure. Only by installing an ATI
driver will you know.

At least you do not have the 1150, sold as superior to the 1100, but
having an inferior Intel 855 graphics subsystem which steals memory from
the rest of the system. The 1150 does have a slot for a wifi card,
though... Ben Myers
From: Jim on
The Display Properties in the Control Panel says the display is "Digital
Flat Panel (1024 x 768) on Intel� 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. So
it sounds like I don't have a card capable of the extended desktop. Thanks
for your info.

Jim

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 4/27/2010 6:10 PM, Jim wrote:
>> I have an Inspiron 1100 vintage 2003 running XP SP3 on which I would
>> like to use the extended desktop feature with a second monitor. After
>> connecting the second monitor, I can display on either monitor or both
>> by using the Fn - F8 toggle, so I know the second monitor is working OK.
>> But following the instructions for using the extended desktop where you
>> can drag windows from one display to the other, which tell me to go to
>> Control Panel, Display, Settings, and where it should show icons of two
>> monitors, it only shows one. I have the latest video driver available,
>> which is from 2005. I have a new Studio 15 laptop running Windows 7
>> which works properly - is the Inspiron 1100 just too old?
>>

> The Inspiron 1100 has an ATI Mobility video card with only 32MB, and I do
> not think it is possible to upgrade it to a card with more memory. 32MB
> may or may not be enough to support the extended desktop feature. You may
> do better if you can find an ATI Mobility driver for XP on the AMD/ATI web
> site. There is some possibility that Dell released a cripped ATI driver.
> But I am not sure. Only by installing an ATI driver will you know.
>
> At least you do not have the 1150, sold as superior to the 1100, but
> having an inferior Intel 855 graphics subsystem which steals memory from
> the rest of the system. The 1150 does have a slot for a wifi card,
> though... Ben Myers

Pages: 1
Prev: Processor
Next: suggestions on these 2 EBAY items