From: Bruce Varney on
Which would be the best processor to install in a Dimension 8300
motherboard. The pc is NOT used for gaming. It is used for photo
processing using Photoshop. I have 2GB of memory installed at present and I
am running Win 7 Pro.

Bruce.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Which would be the best processor to install in a Dimension 8300
> motherboard.

I would recommend a Pentium 4 Northwood CPU with an 800MHz FSB and a
clock speed of 2.8GHz or better. Although the Prescott has a larger on-
die cache and some more hardware instructions (SSE3), it has a much
higher heat output and the apparent performance is not as good as the
Northwood.

I ordered my Dim8300 new with a Pentium 4 Prescott 3.4GHz CPU. I was
not happy with it from day one, and then I installed a 2.8GHz
Northwood. Despite the lowered clock speed, the machine was
*definitely* faster.

William
From: woody on
"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
>> Which would be the best processor to install in a Dimension 8300
>> motherboard.
>
> I would recommend a Pentium 4 Northwood CPU with an 800MHz FSB and a
> clock speed of 2.8GHz or better. Although the Prescott has a larger on-
> die cache and some more hardware instructions (SSE3), it has a much
> higher heat output and the apparent performance is not as good as the
> Northwood.
>
> I ordered my Dim8300 new with a Pentium 4 Prescott 3.4GHz CPU. I was
> not happy with it from day one, and then I installed a 2.8GHz
> Northwood. Despite the lowered clock speed, the machine was
> *definitely* faster.
>
> William

Agreed. Any high speed 800 Mhz Northwood would be the best choice.
Stay away from the Prescott.

Woody

From: Bruce Varney on
Thanks Guys, Northwood it is.