From: yirg.kenya on
My wife's 40 GB drive on her Inspiron 6000 is totally full and I want
to replace it with a (much) larger one.

It's a Toshiba Proteus which looks to have an E-IDE interface. But I'm
confused about what type of interface I need since they seem to be
categorized on the sites I've looked at as SATA (most) or ATA/IDE
others. (Maybe this gives it away.)

So, not to ask a stupid question (but if I don't ask how will I know)
will either of these do or am I limited to the ATA drives?

From: MJMIII on
"yirg.kenya" <yirg.kenya(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> My wife's 40 GB drive on her Inspiron 6000 is totally full and I want
> to replace it with a (much) larger one.
>
> It's a Toshiba Proteus which looks to have an E-IDE interface. But I'm
> confused about what type of interface I need since they seem to be
> categorized on the sites I've looked at as SATA (most) or ATA/IDE
> others. (Maybe this gives it away.)
>
> So, not to ask a stupid question (but if I don't ask how will I know)
> will either of these do or am I limited to the ATA drives?

....and your Dell question is????
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/27/2010 5:12 AM, yirg.kenya wrote:
> My wife's 40 GB drive on her Inspiron 6000 is totally full and I want
> to replace it with a (much) larger one.
>
> It's a Toshiba Proteus which looks to have an E-IDE interface. But I'm
> confused about what type of interface I need since they seem to be
> categorized on the sites I've looked at as SATA (most) or ATA/IDE
> others. (Maybe this gives it away.)
>
> So, not to ask a stupid question (but if I don't ask how will I know)
> will either of these do or am I limited to the ATA drives?

If there is a Dell question in here, the Inspiron 6000 uses parallel ATA
drives. Like any laptop with parallel ATA drives, it can use ONLY
parallel ATA drives, not SATA drives.

I have no clue what is a Toshiba Proteus... Ben Myers
From: yirg.kenya on
On Apr 27, 6:39 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On 4/27/2010 5:12 AM, yirg.kenya wrote:> My wife's 40 GB drive on her Inspiron 6000 is totally full and I want
> > to replace it with a (much) larger one.
>
> > It's a Toshiba Proteus which looks to have an E-IDE interface. But I'm
> > confused about what type of interface I need since they seem to be
> > categorized on the sites I've looked at as SATA (most) or ATA/IDE
> > others. (Maybe this gives it away.)
>
> > So, not to ask a stupid question (but if I don't ask how will I know)
> > will either of these do or am I limited to the ATA drives?
>
> If there is a Dell question in here, the Inspiron 6000 uses parallel ATA
> drives.  Like any laptop with parallel ATA drives, it can use ONLY
> parallel ATA drives, not SATA drives.
>
> I have no clue what is a Toshiba Proteus... Ben Myers

Yes, that was my question. Toshiba Proteus is the drive model Dell
installed in the Inspiron 6000 we have. Looked it up via the service
tag.

Pages: 1
Prev: Studio 1535 no boot
Next: Processor