From: Mike Marquis on
Tried to post this last night but it didn't take.

My wife's Studio 1535 would not recover from sleep so I held the power
button till it shut down. Then it would not boot. The lights above the
keyboard scanned through their normal sequence and the HD light blinked on
briefly----then nothing further happened. Swapped HD and same symptoms.
Removed battery and tried external power same problem. Put her HD in a spare
(?) Studio and it booted up fine.

Cannot even get to the BIOS.

Any clever ideas to try, or is my MB/PS fried (no flashing status lights
anywhere that I can see)

Mike

From: Christopher Muto on
Mike Marquis wrote:
> Tried to post this last night but it didn't take.
>
> My wife's Studio 1535 would not recover from sleep so I held the power
> button till it shut down. Then it would not boot. The lights above the
> keyboard scanned through their normal sequence and the HD light blinked
> on briefly----then nothing further happened. Swapped HD and same
> symptoms. Removed battery and tried external power same problem. Put her
> HD in a spare (?) Studio and it booted up fine.
>
> Cannot even get to the BIOS.
>
> Any clever ideas to try, or is my MB/PS fried (no flashing status lights
> anywhere that I can see)
>
> Mike

try removing and replacing the memory.
disconnect from power, remove battery, then hold power down for 10
seconds to discharge any residual power from the system...
and follow these instructons:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/SM/memory.htm#wp1180987

complete service manual found here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/SM/index.htm

reference guide (which includes error codes) found here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/QRG/F434CA00MR.pdf
From: Mike Marquis on
Thanks Christopher.

I hadn't tried removing the memory yet. I'll let you know if it works.

Mike

From: Mike Marquis on
Thanks for trying no help, Christopher.

I removed the memory and swapped the modules. Held down the power button
without the battery installed. I now notice some status lights illuminated
above the keyboard (the mute light and volume up light are steady and the
the volume down lamp flashes) but there are no mention of them in either doc
you referenced (thank you for the links). I also popped the CMOS battery and
put it back in.

If you have any other ideas I would be glad to give it a shot.

Mike

From: Christopher Muto on
Mike Marquis wrote:
> Thanks for trying no help, Christopher.
>
> I removed the memory and swapped the modules. Held down the power button
> without the battery installed. I now notice some status lights
> illuminated above the keyboard (the mute light and volume up light are
> steady and the the volume down lamp flashes) but there are no mention of
> them in either doc you referenced (thank you for the links). I also
> popped the CMOS battery and put it back in.
>
> If you have any other ideas I would be glad to give it a shot.
>
> Mike
>
> "Mike Marquis" <mike-marquis(a)tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Christopher.
>>
>> I hadn't tried removing the memory yet. I'll let you know if it works.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> try removing and replacing the memory.
>>> disconnect from power, remove battery, then hold power down for 10
>>> seconds to discharge any residual power from the system...
>>> and follow these instructons:
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/SM/memory.htm#wp1180987
>>>

>>> complete service manual found here:
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/SM/index.htm
>>>
>>> reference guide (which includes error codes) found here:
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/QRG/F434CA00MR.pdf

are you refering to the caps lock, numb lock and scrol lock lights ("a",
"9", "arrow") indicating steady, steady, and flashing.
not sure what that means. here is a list of error codes from those
lights from another system:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1520/en/SM/diags.htm