From: Lance liu on
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to delete Windows file or those you are not familar. I once tried Windows cleanup utility, it only free up 50MB space, useless.

It is better to resize and extend partitions by partition software. The bad is, no free partition software for Server. If you cannot free up space, backup the important file and resize partitions.

It depends on yourself how to do this, there is a page suggests how to solve drive running out of space problem, see http://www.hdd-tool.com/partition-manager/how-to-solve-c-drive-run-out-of-space-problem.htm

Dave2 wrote:

Hi Larry & SuperGumbyThank you for your excellent resource.
26-Jul-08

Hi Larry & SuperGumby

Thank you for your excellent resource. We seem to have been able to free up
approximately 5GB of space on the C:\ drive by moving Two (2) non-critical
folders to the E:\ drive.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\logfiles
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Installer

We moved our logfiles and redirected future logs to the new location by
changing the log files location within the properties setting on the "Web
Site" tab for the "Default Web Site" under Internet Information Services in
the IIS MMC [alternatively, Server Managment - Advanced Management]. In our
case, the format selected for these logfiles is "W3C Extended Log Files". I
don't know how often we will need to refer to them, but we at least know
where they are. This freed up approximately 1.5 GB of disk space.

We moved our Installer folder to the E:\ drive. This folder is a hidden
system folder that contains all the installation packages for applications
and patches installed on the server. In the event we need to remove or
modify a patch/application, we can always temporarily copy this folder back
to the C:\ drive. This freed up approximately 3.5 GB of disk space.

Bonus - Prior to moving these folders, we had been getting memory allocation
alerts and low memory issues. We have now increased the system pagefile to
the recommended 1.5 x physical memory [2.5 GB x 1.5 = 3.8 GB]. We expect
this will improve system performance and reduce the number of memory alerts
we are seeing.

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:32 PM
Dave2 wrote:

Low Disk Space on SBS 2003 SP2
We have a SBS 2003 server that is running low on disk space on the C:\
partition. The server is configured as follows:

C:\ 15 GB Total - 75 MB Free Space [Windows Program Files]
D:\ 50 GB Total - 19 GB Free Space [Downloads and Source CDs]
E:\ 158 GB Total - 57 GB Free Space [Shared Documents, Client Apps,
Exchange, SQL Server]

The largest files on the C:\ partition appear to be logfiles located in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 at 2.94GB. These log files take the form
exyymmdd.log and are titled "Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0".

On July 12 2008, I created a new "Log Files" folder on the E:\ partition and
using the IIS MMC redirected the log files for the default web site to the
new folder. New logs are now being added to this new folder while the same
folder on the C:\ partition has stopped growing.

My question is this - have I taken the right approach? I'm not certain what
these log files are used for but they appear to replicate Exchange
transaction logs. Have I corrupted them by moving them in the manner
described. What harm would come from deleting them, or moving them entirely
to the D:\ partition?

On Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:50 PM
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP] wrote:

Re: Low Disk Space on SBS 2003 SP2
Hi Dave:

15 GB is manageable, but requires some work. You can search this group for
disk space and the like and find some prior posts on the subject. I have a
document that I will have access to on Friday that I will post up for you.

The folders most often found on the system drive that can be moved are
exchange data bases, log files, user shared folders, and windows uninstall
folders. All of which do not have to reside on the system partition.

Post back if you want the doc I have on this subject, or someone else may
chip in tonight.

--Larry

"Dave2U" <Dave2U(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:57 PM
SuperGumby [SBS MVP] wrote:

Rather than Exchange transaction logs they are IIS (yeah possibly
Rather than Exchange transaction logs they are IIS (yeah possibly
'transaction') logs for the default web site (which includes but is not
limited to the Exchange folders).

However, moving the location of new logs _is_ as simple as specifying a
location for them, and it sounds like you have done so correctly.

Unless you plan on performing an analysis of IIS traffic the old log files
can be deleted. I'm not sure whether SBS Monitoring and Reporting refer to
them but would run the monitoring and reporting wiz now that the files are
moved.

CAVEAT: I've not _done_ this. I am working from what I know or suspect.

"Dave2U" <Dave2U(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:08 PM
Dave2 wrote:

Hi Larry,Thanks for this response. I would very much appreciate your document.
Hi Larry,

Thanks for this response. I would very much appreciate your document. I
have reviewed a number of posts on the topic of low disk space. Just to open
a whole new can of worms - I have also learned that circular logging for
Exchange is enabled on this server - not a recommended practice.

My objective is to implement best practices for this server. As soon as we
free up some space, I propose to run the SBS Best Practices Analyzer against
it to see if it can identify any areas for improvement. We may end up using
something like the Acronis Disk Director 10 Server to resize our partitions
to more appropriate capacities. I know when we deploy new SBS 2003 servers,
our standard practice is to allow at least 40-50 GB for the system partition.
I imagine that number may increase for SBS 2008.

I look forward to seeing what recommendations you or your document might
offer.

Cheers,
Dave

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On Friday, July 18, 2008 8:19 AM
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP] wrote:

Re: Low Disk Space on SBS 2003 SP2
Hi Dave:

Document below:

Usual disclamers: proceed at your own risk, your milage may vary, not all
systems are the same, be sure you are backed
up, etc.

--
Larry

Please post the resolution to
your issue so that all can benefit.

___

Here are some additional space saving/making tips accumulated from this
newsgroup.

NOTE: When moving folders, especially your Exchange data base, revisit the
exclusions in your Anti Virus program. It is "critical" that these not be
scanned by your real time scanner.

Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/maintain/movedata.mspx

How to move Exchange databases and logs in Exchange Server 2003
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915>

How to Move Small Business Server 2000 Company and Users Shared Folders
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329640>

How to Move the Client Programs Folder to Another Location in Windows Small
Business Server 2003
<http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;830254>

How to Move the Windows Default Paging File and Print Spooler to a Different
Hard Disk

NOTE: Remember that moving the default paging file will prevent Windows from
creating a .dmp file for analysis should your system hit a critical error
and "blue screen".

Also:
Look at where the ISA logs are kept if you have SBS Premium.

You can move the C:\windows\uninstall$ folders off your systemroot, but you
may want to keep them in case you have to move them back to uninstall
something in the future. I have only ever had to to this once, and it was
not an SBS.

Remove any folders or files under the c:\documents and settings\user
name\local settings\temp folders.

If Monitoring is enabled it can create a file that could be large. Run
through the wizard again to flush out the gooey stuff..

Delete logs older than "date of your choice" from the system32 folder.
Likewise the logs and reports from the ISA folder.

Search for and delete old dmp files.

You can move the page file to another partition. The only downside is that
if you get a "blue screen" you will not get a full memory dump, and since
only MS can read them anyway, I don't see that it matters much.

You can delete files older than a few (days/weeks/months) under
C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles to purge old log files.

Verify that your AV program is not accumulating the old pattern files in its
download folder. Some of these files can be quite large.

You may gain some usable space and increase system performance in Windows
Server 2003 by moving the printer spool files to a different drive than the
one that holds the operating system. Note that this should be a different
spindle, but a different partition will help the OS a bit also.

By default, Windows Server 2003 places the printer spool folder at
%systemroot%\System32\Spool\Printers. However, you can potentially increase
system performance by moving the printer spool files to a different drive
than the one that holds the operating system.

Computers frequently access system files, so moving the printer files to a
different location allows faster access to those files. The drive won't have
to try to service requests simultaneously.

To change the location for the printer spooler files, follow these steps:
1. Go to Start | Printers And Faxes.
2. From the File menu, select Server Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, enter the location where you would like to spool
print jobs. If the location doesn't exist, this process will create it for
you. Make sure the new location has sufficient disk space to handle large
print jobs.
4. Stop and restart the printer spooler service, or reboot the server.

WSUS is also a big space hog. If you want to move the WSUS data, download
the following document and read the part about relocating
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E26BCDB4-EF0B-4399-8A71-9B3B00C4F4CD&displaylang=en

"Dave2U" <Dave2U(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 18, 2008 10:32 AM
Dave2 wrote:

Thanks, LarryI will review this document and post back what works for our
Thanks, Larry

I will review this document and post back what works for our situation.

Dave

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:32 PM
Dave2 wrote:

[...]

WCF Data Services / WCF Behaviors And Server Side Processing
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/7597ebc9-868a-420b-96d0-119d3a501d60/wcf-data-services--wcf-behaviors-and-server-side-processing.aspx