From: Paul on
Roger wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hgg8k3$3m8$1(a)aioe.org...
>> Roger wrote:
>>
>>> Paul thank for your most detailed reply which I try to absorb. I'm not
>>> worried about getting inside PC as I often clean there and have changed
>>> the Ram. My board is K7s5a ECS I have the manual stored in My docs in
>>> adobe PDF but are unable to sort out getting you a picture link of
>>> mainboard. Looking at board it shows 5 PCI slots This was a made up PC.
>>> Looking at the back of unit one of those slots is housing four USB ports
>>> this must have been added later on an upgrade.as on drawing it only shows
>>> one usb1 next to fp audio,woL1,FP1, SPK1, etc . I have 3 of those slots
>>> still with the blank fitted.
>>>
>>> Roger
>> I have a K7S5A manual on disk here. (I download a lot of different
>> manuals,
>> so I have a small collection.)
>>
>> There are two USB ports in your I/O area.
>>
>> If you already have a PCI USB card, you should check Device Manager in
>> WinXP,
>> and look for the word "Enhanced" in the USB section. The technique of
>> checking
>> for USB2 is described in the link below.
>>
>> So it could be, you already have USB2 and it might be on that PCI card.
>>
>> If you're not seeing Enhanced, then perhaps the purchase of another card
>> would help.
>>
>> I have a really old PCI USB card, which has USB 1.1 ports only on it,
>> so it isn't guaranteed that your PCI USB card is USB2. But if you check
>> Device Manager, you may be able to save yourself $10.
>>
>> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
>>
>> "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)"
>>
>> That is an example of what is coming from a PCI USB2 card with a
>> NEC chip on it. So that machine has USB2 capability.
>>

> Paul It looks a basic set to me, e.g. showing 1 Logitech Camera, 1
> Generic USB hub, 4 Lucent QuadraBus host Controller, 2 SIS 7001 PCI to USB
> host, 6 USB Root Hub.
>
> Roger

According to this page...

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_Identify_HostController.htm

the SIS7001 has this as its major entry. I can't tell if one or
two USB Root Hub entries go with that.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_1.jpg

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

Perhaps the Lucent QuadraBus is your PCI card ?

Wow, they even have the Lucent Quadrabus as well. The text
below the picture indicates which entries belong to it.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_8.gif

Lucent USB Open Host Controller (x4)
USB Root Hub (x4)

So that seems to account for your entries. A Brazilian web page
is still selling a QuadraBus card, and their advert mentions "1.1",
so chances are that card is a slow one.

Looks like you'll need to fork out that $10 after all :-)

If you're not using the QuadraBus for anything, you could
even pull it, and put the USB2 card in its place.

Paul

From: Roger on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hggpvi$sd2$1(a)aioe.org...
> Roger wrote:

>>> I have a K7S5A manual on disk here. (I download a lot of different
>>> manuals,
>>> so I have a small collection.)
>>>
>>> There are two USB ports in your I/O area.
>>>
>>> If you already have a PCI USB card, you should check Device Manager in
>>> WinXP,
>>> and look for the word "Enhanced" in the USB section. The technique of
>>> checking
>>> for USB2 is described in the link below.
>>>
>>> So it could be, you already have USB2 and it might be on that PCI card.
>>>
>>> If you're not seeing Enhanced, then perhaps the purchase of another card
>>> would help.
>>>
>>> I have a really old PCI USB card, which has USB 1.1 ports only on it,
>>> so it isn't guaranteed that your PCI USB card is USB2. But if you check
>>> Device Manager, you may be able to save yourself $10.
>>>
>>> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
>>>
>>> "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)"
>>>
>>> That is an example of what is coming from a PCI USB2 card with a
>>> NEC chip on it. So that machine has USB2 capability.
>>>

>> Paul It looks a basic set to me, e.g. showing 1 Logitech Camera, 1
>> Generic USB hub, 4 Lucent QuadraBus host Controller, 2 SIS 7001 PCI to
>> USB host, 6 USB Root Hub.
>>
>> Roger
>
> According to this page...
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_Identify_HostController.htm
>
> the SIS7001 has this as its major entry. I can't tell if one or
> two USB Root Hub entries go with that.
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_1.jpg
>
> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
>
> Perhaps the Lucent QuadraBus is your PCI card ?
>
> Wow, they even have the Lucent Quadrabus as well. The text
> below the picture indicates which entries belong to it.
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/HowTo_8.gif
>
> Lucent USB Open Host Controller (x4)
> USB Root Hub (x4)
>
> So that seems to account for your entries. A Brazilian web page
> is still selling a QuadraBus card, and their advert mentions "1.1",
> so chances are that card is a slow one.
>
> Looks like you'll need to fork out that $10 after all :-)
>
> If you're not using the QuadraBus for anything, you could
> even pull it, and put the USB2 card in its place.
>
> Paul

Could the Lucent be my 4 port hub which is mounted on desk, and connected in
back of Pc via usb port ? this is shown as a 1.1 on unit ?

From: Paul on
Roger wrote:

> Could the Lucent be my 4 port hub which is mounted on desk, and connected in
> back of Pc via usb port ? this is shown as a 1.1 on unit ?

The quickest way to verify what chip is on your current add-in
card, is to pull the side off the computer and look.

*******

If you want to play around some more, try Everest (free edition).
Look in the "Devices : PCI devices" section, and see what is listed there.

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

I don't know of any software tools, that make it particularly
easy to verify what hardware is inside the computer. Virtually
all of them require interpretation.

To give an example, I have a couple PCI cards installed right now.
This is what Everest reports.

Device Properties:
Device Description C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 3 / 7 / 0
Device ID 13F6-0111
Subsystem ID 13F6-0111
Device Class 0401 (Audio Device)
Revision 10
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported

Device Properties:
Device Description Promise PDC20269 Ultra133 TX2 Bus Master IDE Controller
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 3 / 6 / 0
Device ID 105A-4D69
Subsystem ID 105A-4D68
Device Class 0180 (Mass Storage Controller)
Revision 02
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported

If you look at the Bus / Device / Function, you can tell they're
on the same bus segment.

My AGP video card is on a different bus segment. And that bus segment is AGP.
The bus number is one, in this case.

Device Properties:
Device Description ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Adapter
Bus Type AGP 8x
Bus / Device / Function 1 / 0 / 0
Device ID 1002-4E48
Subsystem ID 1002-0002
Device Class 0300 (VGA Display Controller)
Revision 00
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

So Everest can give you a pile of stuff to look at. If you use the
"Report Wizard", you can create reams of data for examination with
a text editor.

And if Everest can't identify a piece of hardware, you can use the
Device ID field and then look up the device in question here. I picked
a couple of lines out of the file, which correspond to my sound card.
You can see how the Everest value of 13F6-0111, looks in this file.
The first chunk of digits is the VID or Vendor ID. The second set
is the PID or Product ID. This is how I might figure out I need
a CM8738 driver.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

13f6 C-Media Electronics Inc
0111 CM8738