From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 06:25:01 -0700, George <George(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Good Day,
>
>I have a date that I'm pulling from a report that is in a text string
>format. What i need to be able to do is extract the month from the string so
>that I can run a script against the month name. The format of the string is
>as follows.
>
>Wednesday, April 14, 2010
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Sam

Assuming the text string is always the entire contents of the line, and is
always formatted as
dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy
or
dddd, mmmm d, yyyy

Then
=--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99)
or
=DATEVALUE(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99))

will return a number which is the Excel Date. (40282 for the above date).

You can then extract the month as a number [1-12] using the MONTH worksheet
function:

=MONTH(--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99))

If you want the month as text, then:

=TEXT(--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99),"mmmm")

--ron
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: "Hidden" worksheet?