From: Cliff on
Hey all,

I was looking for some guidance. I need to do some stat analysis on a
production audit table. One problem is that there are no indexes on
the audit table and spooling via sqlplus would take years.

Using Export on the server, the disk space required for the dmp file is
about 40 G ( per the DBA ). This space is not available on the UNIX
box.

Would running EXP locally be a valid option?

I realize that any solution is going to take a while of processing
time; it's just that I don't want to get 100-hours in and then find a
fatal flaw.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Cliff

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:46:45 -0500, Cliff wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was looking for some guidance. I need to do some stat analysis on a
> production audit table. One problem is that there are no indexes on the
> audit table and spooling via sqlplus would take years.
>
> Using Export on the server, the disk space required for the dmp file is
> about 40 G ( per the DBA ). This space is not available on the UNIX
> box.
>
> Would running EXP locally be a valid option?

Locally? Running EXP is illegal in Texas. What do you mean by locally?

> I realize that any solution is going to take a while of processing time;
> it's just that I don't want to get 100-hours in and then find a fatal
> flaw.

You can run exp on another machine and connect over the TCP connection.
The client exp executable must have the same major version number as the
database server. There are even problems there: 9.2.0.1 exp file cannot
export 9.2.0.8 database. Also, be aware of the different NLS conventions
on Winduhs and Unix.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Robert Klemme on
On 01/07/2010 01:46 AM, Cliff wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was looking for some guidance. I need to do some stat analysis on a
> production audit table. One problem is that there are no indexes on the
> audit table and spooling via sqlplus would take years.
>
> Using Export on the server, the disk space required for the dmp file is
> about 40 G ( per the DBA ). This space is not available on the UNIX box.
>
> Would running EXP locally be a valid option?
>
> I realize that any solution is going to take a while of processing time;
> it's just that I don't want to get 100-hours in and then find a fatal flaw.
>
> Thoughts?

Another option than the ones mentioned already is to temporarily mount a
file system with appropriate size on the _server_ and use Data Pump to
export it on the server. Then unmount the file system or do whatever
you need to do as part of your analysis.

You can also use Data Pump to copy the table from one instance to
another, this avoids the large export file. Then you can create indexes
and do whatever analysis you want to do on the other DB server without
impacting the production system. There are however some caveats, off
the top of my head the default charset of the databases should be identical.

If you do need to do this analysis repeatedly then maybe a materialized
view which is refreshed manually via a DB Link could help.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Jonathan Lewis on
<Cliff> wrote in message news:2010010619464516807-(a)news.giganews.com...
> Hey all,
>
> I was looking for some guidance. I need to do some stat analysis on a
> production audit table. One problem is that there are no indexes on the
> audit table and spooling via sqlplus would take years.
>
> Using Export on the server, the disk space required for the dmp file is
> about 40 G ( per the DBA ). This space is not available on the UNIX box.
>
> Would running EXP locally be a valid option?
>
> I realize that any solution is going to take a while of processing time;
> it's just that I don't want to get 100-hours in and then find a fatal
> flaw.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA,
> Cliff

How are you planning to do the analysis ?

If you're looking at exp then presumably you're thinking
of using imp on another database. Have you considered
the possibility of using transportable tablespaces, or do
the restrictions make that option impossible ?

If you're going to use exp "locally" - which in your case
means at a client machine - remember that you're going
to have to pump all that data across a network, and that
may introduce a different set of problems, and need some
adjustments to your SQL*Net configuration before you
begin.

If SQL*Net issues don't worry you, and you're going to
be moving the datat into another Oracle database, then
how about:
create audit_clone nologging
as
select (required columns) from audit_table(a)remote ?

If you're sticking with exp/imp remember that you can add
a "where clause" to exp, so if there's some easy way to break
the table into discrete data sets you could export it in several
pieces - you'd have to scan the entire table to generate each
file, but if your critical limit is the amount of filesystem space
you can acquire at any one time, it gives you an option for
doing the job in pieces.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

From: Thomas Kellerer on
Mladen Gogala, 07.01.2010 04:44:
> Running EXP is illegal in Texas.

How can a state law prohibit running of a "normal" computer program?