From: bob123 on
Hi,

I have to move a big tablespace
with a minimum of offline time.
So is it possible to do:
- alter tablespace begin backup
- cp datafiles
- alter tablespace end backup
- alter tablespace offline
- recover tablespace
- alter tablespace online

Thanks for your help

From: Mark D Powell on
On Jan 6, 3:18 pm, "bob123" <bob...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to move a big tablespace
> with a minimum of offline time.
> So is it possible to do:
> - alter tablespace begin backup
> - cp datafiles
> - alter tablespace end backup
> - alter tablespace offline
> - recover tablespace
> - alter tablespace online
>
> Thanks for your help

To move a tablespace you would actually move the datafiles under the
tablespace. To do that you take the tablespace offline, Copy or move
the files at the OS level, rename the files in Oracle to reflect the
new OS names, and bring the tablespace back online. Now in the case
of a copy at the OS level remove the old datafiles. See the DBA
Administration manual for your version of Oracle. I expect it has an
example.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
From: Hemant K Chitale on

You have to take the Tablespace Offline *before* you move the
datafiles and then use an ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'oldlocation' TO
'newlocation' , then bring the Tablespace Online

If you have multiple datafiles you could copy the datafiles in
parallel OR you could do the

TABLESPACE OFFLINE ; copy/move single datafile ; RENAME FILE ;
TABLESPACE ONLINE

cyclically -- e.g. one datafile every 6 hours or every day so that you
reduce the OFFLINE time to smaller windows.

Hemant K Chitale

From: Eugene Pokopac on
1 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> OFFLINE ;

2 - At the server - Issue appropriate commands to copy ALL files in
the tablespace from the OLD location to the NEW location:

Unix example: mv /u015/ORACLE/ofdvdata/<filename> /u004/ORACLE/
ofdv/<filename>

3 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> RENAME DATAFILE
/u015/ORACLE/ofdvdata/<filename> TO
/u004/ORACLE/ofdv/<filename> ;

4 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> ONLINE ;
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 06:29:02 -0800, Eugene Pokopac wrote:

> 1 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> OFFLINE ;
>
> 2 - At the server - Issue appropriate commands to copy ALL files in the
> tablespace from the OLD location to the NEW location:
>
> Unix example: mv /u015/ORACLE/ofdvdata/<filename> /u004/ORACLE/
> ofdv/<filename>
>
> 3 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> RENAME DATAFILE
> /u015/ORACLE/ofdvdata/<filename> TO
> /u004/ORACLE/ofdv/<filename> ;
>
> 4 - ALTER TABLESPACE <ts_name> ONLINE ;

Eugene, how about doing a little testing?

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com