From: Db on
you might try to boot into
safe mode and see if
performance is better
there.

if so, then you might begin
normal mode with a
clean boot.

--
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - @Hotmail.com
>> - nntp Postologist
>> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Twayne on
In news:OF2bUms9KHA.3840(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Bubbler <Nono(a)cox.net> typed:
> After a re-install of Roxio EMC 9, Windows Explorer is
> very, very slow responding (eg. opening a drive or folder).
> I see no other apps running, and essentially no CPU usage.
> A google search shows a number of similar situations with
> WE, but no clear explanation or remedy. Any ideas?
>
> -Bub

Roxio, much as I like it, is often the culprit for things like that.
Did you make sure to install any updates that were available?
If I were you I think I'd next try an uninstall/reinstall of Roxio before
going too much further.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Bubbler wrote:
>>> After a re-install of Roxio EMC 9, Windows Explorer is very, very slow
>>> responding (eg. opening a drive or folder). I see no other apps
>>> running,
>>> and essentially no CPU usage.
>>> A google search shows a number of similar situations with WE, but no
>>> clear
>>> explanation or remedy. Any ideas?
>>
>> Is this on the WinXP SP3 computer you used to post your question?

>> bought it)?
>
> Yes, it's XP SP3. McAfee security suite installed and has been faithfully
> kept current for over a year.
> MS defender also installed and current. No other security software.
>
> I've tried several of the suggested fixes that simply stop certain startup
> items that can be reversed. No luck.
>
> The problem appears with Windows Explorer and EMC 9. I deleted EMC 9
> again,
> re-booted, and re-installed but the WE slow-down still there.

Repost: Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled
when you bought it)?

Is McAfee Security Suite a freebie from your ISP?

From: Bubbler on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Is this on the WinXP SP3 computer you used to post your question?
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?
>>
>> Yes, it's XP SP3. McAfee security suite installed and has been
>> faithfully
>> kept current for over a year.
>> MS defender also installed and current. No other security software.
>>
>> I've tried several of the suggested fixes that simply stop certain
>> startup
>> items that can be reversed. No luck.
>>
>> The problem appears with Windows Explorer and EMC 9. I deleted EMC 9
>> again,
>> re-booted, and re-installed but the WE slow-down still there.
>
> Repost: Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
> installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came
> preinstalled when you bought it)?
>
> Is McAfee Security Suite a freebie from your ISP?

No additional McAfee or Norton installed.

Yes, it's the McAffe Suite from Cox.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Bubbler wrote:

>>> Yes, it's XP SP3. McAfee security suite installed and has been
>>> faithfully
>>> kept current for over a year.
>>> MS defender also installed and current. No other security software.
>>>
>>> I've tried several of the suggested fixes that simply stop certain
>>> startup
>>> items that can be reversed. No luck.
>>>
>>> The problem appears with Windows Explorer and EMC 9. I deleted EMC 9
>>> again,
>>> re-booted, and re-installed but the WE slow-down still there.
>>
>> Repost: Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
>> installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came
>> preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>
>> Is McAfee Security Suite a freebie from your ISP?
> No additional McAfee or Norton installed. Yes, it's the McAffe Suite from
> Cox.

See if doing this McAfee three-step fix (followed by a reboot) resolves the
problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

If still no joy, post here for assistance:
http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showforum=83