From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sunday I upgraded this laptop to F12 and have found two problems:

- setting 'spin down when possible' for AC power prevents it coming
out of suspend. Thats annoying, but fixable: don't allow AC spin down.

- PulseAudio worked well for about a day and now won't work at all.
At one point I decided that making alert noises just because the cursor
was being run off the file was a pain, so I muted it. Since the Great
Silence set in I've cancelled the mute, but Pulseaudio is still mum.
Nothing I've tried in the way of setting changes and reboots will make
it work.

Is this a known problem with a known work-round or should I just file a
bug at the Fedora Project?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Alan Fitch on
On 10/03/10 23:42, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sunday I upgraded this laptop to F12 and have found two problems:
>
> - setting 'spin down when possible' for AC power prevents it coming
> out of suspend. Thats annoying, but fixable: don't allow AC spin down.
>
> - PulseAudio worked well for about a day and now won't work at all.
> At one point I decided that making alert noises just because the cursor
> was being run off the file was a pain, so I muted it. Since the Great
> Silence set in I've cancelled the mute, but Pulseaudio is still mum.
> Nothing I've tried in the way of setting changes and reboots will make
> it work.
>
> Is this a known problem with a known work-round or should I just file a
> bug at the Fedora Project?

I've had a surprising amount of success with Pulse Audio in Fedora 12,
given that in past incarnations it was completely useless.

The only problem I had was that alsa was by default muting my soundcard.
I unmuted it manually, then used alsactrl to save its state, and now it
starts up unmuted.

Perhaps your problem is similar?

regards
Alan

--
Alan Fitch
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:12:04 +0000, Alan Fitch wrote:

> On 10/03/10 23:42, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sunday I upgraded this laptop to F12 and have found two problems:
>>
>> - setting 'spin down when possible' for AC power prevents it coming
>> out of suspend. Thats annoying, but fixable: don't allow AC spin
>> down.
>>
>> - PulseAudio worked well for about a day and now won't work at all.
>> At one point I decided that making alert noises just because the
>> cursor was being run off the file was a pain, so I muted it. Since
>> the Great Silence set in I've cancelled the mute, but Pulseaudio is
>> still mum. Nothing I've tried in the way of setting changes and
>> reboots will make it work.
>>
>> Is this a known problem with a known work-round or should I just file
>> a bug at the Fedora Project?
>>

> I've had a surprising amount of success with Pulse Audio in Fedora 12,
> given that in past incarnations it was completely useless.
>
> The only problem I had was that alsa was by default muting my soundcard.
> I unmuted it manually, then used alsactrl to save its state, and now it
> starts up unmuted.

I had a play with alsamixer and alsactl but no joy. However, alsamixer
reports that there are no OSS devices. might this be significant?

I'm running on a Thinkpad R61i if that's significant. It has an Intel
sound card and Conexant PCM device.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Alan Fitch on
On 11/03/10 12:54, Martin Gregorie wrote:
<snip>

>>> - PulseAudio worked well for about a day and now won't work at all.
>>> At one point I decided that making alert noises just because the
>>> cursor was being run off the file was a pain, so I muted it. Since
>>> the Great Silence set in I've cancelled the mute, but Pulseaudio is
>>> still mum. Nothing I've tried in the way of setting changes and
>>> reboots will make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this a known problem with a known work-round or should I just file
>>> a bug at the Fedora Project?

<snip>

>> The only problem I had was that alsa was by default muting my soundcard.
>> I unmuted it manually, then used alsactrl to save its state, and now it
>> starts up unmuted.
>>
> I had a play with alsamixer and alsactl but no joy. However, alsamixer
> reports that there are no OSS devices. might this be significant?

Hi Martin,

I don't think so - OSS is an even older system than Alsa as I understand
it.

I found this advice helpful:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_PulseAudio_problems

i.e. killing the pulse audio daemon and re-starting it manually with
lots of debugging. It's strange that it used to work for you, and then
stopped.

> I'm running on a Thinkpad R61i if that's significant. It has an Intel
> sound card and Conexant PCM device.

I don't know if that's significant :-(

regards
Alan