From: Justin on
Hi Folks, I have a Dell Dimension here that needs to be reformatted.
This is one of the Dells where they don't provide you with the CDs or
DVDs - just some sort of partition.
I want to do a CLEAN install of Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition -
the OS that came with the PC.
Is that even possible?
Do I have to order a DVD from dell for $40?
From: Daave on
Justin wrote:
> Hi Folks, I have a Dell Dimension here that needs to be reformatted.
> This is one of the Dells where they don't provide you with the CDs or
> DVDs - just some sort of partition.
> I want to do a CLEAN install of Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition -
> the OS that came with the PC.
> Is that even possible?

I believe so. But you would need to obtain a generic MCE installation
disk of XP first. If you are able to do this, then you can get all your
drivers here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIMENSION%205100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

But if you can't get this disk, hopefully you can restore from the
hidden partition. If you can do this, then you should uninstall the
trialware and crapware.

> Do I have to order a DVD from dell for $40?

No. Then again, if there is something wrong with the partition, you
might need to do this.

From: Justin on
On 12/28/2009 6:11 PM, Daave wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> Hi Folks, I have a Dell Dimension here that needs to be reformatted.
>> This is one of the Dells where they don't provide you with the CDs or
>> DVDs - just some sort of partition.
>> I want to do a CLEAN install of Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition -
>> the OS that came with the PC.
>> Is that even possible?
>
> I believe so. But you would need to obtain a generic MCE installation
> disk of XP first. If you are able to do this, then you can get all your
> drivers here:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIMENSION%205100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
>
> But if you can't get this disk, hopefully you can restore from the
> hidden partition. If you can do this, then you should uninstall the
> trialware and crapware.
>
>> Do I have to order a DVD from dell for $40?
>
> No. Then again, if there is something wrong with the partition, you
> might need to do this.

There is no recovery partition.
The recovery install files are integrated int he primary partition -
which have been infected with everything.
This is why I use a Mac.
Windows pays my salary but I use OSX to get work done.
Why does Dell do this? Save a whole $0.10 by not including a DVD?
From: Ben Myers on
Justin wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 6:11 PM, Daave wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Hi Folks, I have a Dell Dimension here that needs to be reformatted.
>>> This is one of the Dells where they don't provide you with the CDs or
>>> DVDs - just some sort of partition.
>>> I want to do a CLEAN install of Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition -
>>> the OS that came with the PC.
>>> Is that even possible?
>>
>> I believe so. But you would need to obtain a generic MCE installation
>> disk of XP first. If you are able to do this, then you can get all your
>> drivers here:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIMENSION%205100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
>>

>> But if you can't get this disk, hopefully you can restore from the
>> hidden partition. If you can do this, then you should uninstall the
>> trialware and crapware.
>>
>>> Do I have to order a DVD from dell for $40?
>>
>> No. Then again, if there is something wrong with the partition, you
>> might need to do this.
>>

> There is no recovery partition.
> The recovery install files are integrated int he primary partition -
> which have been infected with everything.
> This is why I use a Mac.
> Windows pays my salary but I use OSX to get work done.
> Why does Dell do this? Save a whole $0.10 by not including a DVD?

FWIW, enough Dell buyers have complained about the lack of
restore/install media that Dell has begun including the Win 7 install
DVD and driver CD with new systems it ships. My client with the Dell
laptops that won't connect to her US Robotics router got all the media
and did nothing special to get it, AFAIK.

If they choose not to provide the media, then they need to provide a
program to copy the restore partition to a DVD (or two or three) in a
format that can be used to reinstall. Lenovo does this, and the program
is there full time, i.e. it does not give the choice when you first
power on the computer and never again... Ben Myers
From: Daave on
Justin wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 6:11 PM, Daave wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Hi Folks, I have a Dell Dimension here that needs to be reformatted.
>>> This is one of the Dells where they don't provide you with the CDs
>>> or DVDs - just some sort of partition.
>>> I want to do a CLEAN install of Windows XP Media Center 2005
>>> edition - the OS that came with the PC.
>>> Is that even possible?
>>
>> I believe so. But you would need to obtain a generic MCE installation
>> disk of XP first. If you are able to do this, then you can get all
>> your drivers here:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIMENSION%205100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
>>
>> But if you can't get this disk, hopefully you can restore from the
>> hidden partition. If you can do this, then you should uninstall the
>> trialware and crapware.
>>
>>> Do I have to order a DVD from dell for $40?
>>
>> No. Then again, if there is something wrong with the partition, you
>> might need to do this.
>>

> There is no recovery partition.
> The recovery install files are integrated int he primary partition -
> which have been infected with everything.

In your original post, you said there was "some sort of partition."
Check the disk structure. There should be a hidden recovery partition,
separate from the partition with the infection. Pressing Ctrl+F11
immediately after turning on the PC should get you there.

Otherwise, contact Dell and purchase the correct media.

Yes, I agree with you it's a hassle!