From: tophyr on

The integrated video (NVIDIA) on my Inspiron came down with dementia
today and needs to be replaced.. LCD screen is completely nonfunctional,
and when connected to an external monitor the graphics are extremely
distorted.

Since I have to replace the mobo to replace the graphics.. are there
any other Dell motherboards that fit the same case, that are better than
the 1420? I can't find much info about the 1420's siblings other than
the model numbers (ie, have heard of an Inspiron 1440?) so I'm hoping
someone here knows more. I got pretty much the top of the line 1420..
Core Duo 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, NVIDIA graphics, etc etc.. but there's always
room for improvement :D

From: Tom Scales on
I believe the 1440 is the Studio 14z. I'd be surprised if any other
motherboard fit.

1420 is a great machine. I'd ebay a motherboard and go for it.

From: Victor on
On Dec 27, 5:54 am, tophyr <tophyr.43x...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
> The integrated video (NVIDIA) on my Inspiron came down with dementia
> today and needs to be replaced.. LCD screen is completely nonfunctional,
> and when connected to an external monitor the graphics are extremely
> distorted.
>
> Since I have to replace the mobo to replace the graphics.. are there
> any other Dell motherboards that fit the same case, that are better than
> the 1420? I can't find much info about the 1420's siblings other than
> the model numbers (ie, have heard of an Inspiron 1440?) so I'm hoping
> someone here knows more. I got pretty much the top of the line 1420..
> Core Duo 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, NVIDIA graphics, etc etc.. but there's always
> room for improvement :D

Dell has offered extended factory warranties to many models with
Nvidia 8400 graphics including the Inspiron 1420.Before buying a
second hand motherboard,I would contact Dell.See this page:
http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx