From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <19abbdf4-8cb8-448c-afbe-d40388a1b4a8(a)x1
2g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:55:48, "Michael Haufe
(\"TNO\")" <tno(a)thenewobjective.com> posted:
>On Mar 18, 4:16�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.
>
>If that's the case, then why should VML/SVG be excluded?

Suggesting inclusion of something does not imply suggesting the
exclusion of something else. I don't know enough about either to
comment.

If any such (canvas included) are mentioned, a link to a small, but not
trivial, example should be included - about a page of A4.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> Suggesting inclusion of something does not imply suggesting the
> exclusion of something else.  I don't know enough about either to
> comment.

But it does imply the inclusion of the related topics. The point is
that inclusion of VML/SVG would complicate the FAQ IMO, and HTML
Canvas is the foot in the door.

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> If any such (canvas included) are mentioned, a link to a small, but not
> trivial, example should be included - about a page of A4.

How about this?
http://www.nihilogic.dk/labs/canvas_sheet/HTML5_Canvas_Cheat_Sheet.png
From: Joe D Williams on
: FAOENTRY - canvas wrote

>> For those who have not used a PostScript-like system before,

why compare it to anything specific?
Authors get a simple mostly semantic standards-track declarative XML conforming
color, text, geometry, animation, and interaction language. It is basically a
script(able) DOM element that runs to produce a new output each time the data
changes. The thing turns out to be useful for a wide range of nD+1 applications
in html documents. A clever author can roll their own tree or scenegraph and
produce interactive networkable transactions using GPU, OGL/OCL/Dx, WebGL, X3D,
and any nD data structures to show most anything you want, completely integrated
in the html5 document.
For simple and complex examples of some current connections available using our
newly-beloved html5 canvas element, please see x3dom.org.
Best Regards,
Joe

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <a75ae4cf-c917-45fe-b233-9361be0d82d0(a)g2
8g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:38:59, "Michael Haufe
(\"TNO\")" <tno(a)thenewobjective.com> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.
>
>Michael Haufe wrote:
>> If that's the case, then why should VML/SVG be excluded?
>
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> Suggesting inclusion of something does not imply suggesting the
>> exclusion of something else. �I don't know enough about either to
>> comment.
>
>But it does imply the inclusion of the related topics. The point is
>that inclusion of VML/SVG would complicate the FAQ IMO, and HTML
>Canvas is the foot in the door.

The lack of ANY mention is a defect, if VML/SVG is/are as useful as
canvas is. There is no call for embedding a tutorial in the FAQ, but a
link or two would be worth their space.

The FAQ, as an updating document, should briefly indicate the breadth of
support in current and recent browsers.

>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> If any such (canvas included) are mentioned, a link to a small, but not
>> trivial, example should be included - about a page of A4.
>
>How about this?
>http://www.nihilogic.dk/labs/canvas_sheet/HTML5_Canvas_Cheat_Sheet.png

It could be useful, if it could be read[*]. But it is not an example.
The intention is to show by example what the language is like, not to
teach by example. URL added to relevant page.

[*] Font too small, even when printed. (Pity about the coloured bits;
I'm out of red ink). And the material does not fit on 1 A4 on my
printer.

Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "> " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <R82dnUg-OeHZtTvWnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d(a)earthl
ink.com>, Sun, 21 Mar 2010 07:07:53, Joe D Williams
<joedwil(a)earthlink.net> posted:
>: FAOENTRY - canvas wrote
>
>>> For those who have not used a PostScript-like system before,
>
>why compare it to anything specific?

Why not? That's the best example that I know (probably there are many
examples that I do not know; but a nodding acquaintance with PostScript
should not be uncommon).

>For simple and complex examples of some current connections available
>using our
>newly-beloved html5 canvas element, please see x3dom.org.

Nothing useful found there, primarily because of the smallness of the
fonts. That which works of their "examples" are not examples but
demonstrations; the code is not manifest.