From: Dr J R Stockton on

A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.

For those who have not used a PostScript-like system before, it may not
be obvious how some things can be done.

Examples :
drawing ellipses : save, scale, circle, restore
dashed line : repeat (save, rotate, draw X-segment, restore)
save context and use that more than once : impossible?
save picture and use that more than once : [get][put]ImageData
do it in MSIE : wait for IE 10+?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
From: Thomas Allen on
On Mar 18, 5:16 pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
>         do it in MSIE : wait for IE 10+?

Possibly http://code.google.com/p/explorercanvas/

Thomas
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On Mar 18, 4:16 pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.

If that's the case, then why should VML/SVG be excluded?
From: Garrett Smith on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.
>
> For those who have not used a PostScript-like system before, it may not
> be obvious how some things can be done.
>
> Examples :
> drawing ellipses : save, scale, circle, restore
> dashed line : repeat (save, rotate, draw X-segment, restore)
> save context and use that more than once : impossible?
> save picture and use that more than once : [get][put]ImageData
> do it in MSIE : wait for IE 10+?

For IE, the closest thing is VML.

RobG posted a tutorial not too long ago on this:
http://billmill.org/static/canvastutorial/move.html

My experience with canvas is essentially none at this point.
--
Garrett
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <ho09av$slh$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:38:53, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> A <FAQENTRY> on <canvas> might be useful; or a FAQ Note.
>> For those who have not used a PostScript-like system before, it may
>>not
>> be obvious how some things can be done.
>> Examples :
>> drawing ellipses : save, scale, circle, restore
>> dashed line : repeat (save, rotate, draw X-segment, restore)
>> save context and use that more than once : impossible?
>> save picture and use that more than once : [get][put]ImageData
>> do it in MSIE : wait for IE 10+?
>>
>For IE, the closest thing is VML.

IE users should see <http://www.browserchoice.eu/terms/terms_en.htm>.

Those remarks are partly generic for similar systems not directly
implementing those features.

>RobG posted a tutorial not too long ago on this:
>http://billmill.org/static/canvastutorial/move.html

Those who override users' font choices with sans-serif should avoid any
words for which changing 'cl' to 'd' gives another word, e.g. clone.

'$' us not visibly defined? <g>

In the directions currently of interest to me, I'm past that stage.

>My experience with canvas is essentially none at this point.

Look at <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-grphx.htm>; it can read
files or the pre-loaded editable textarea provided. One of the preset
editable file names loads the dashed-line code.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
I find MiniTrue useful for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS prompt;