From: Uwe Sieber on
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> I wrote earlier of a problem on one machine with XP Home SP3. It would
> not read floppies of FAT32-formatted thumb drives that were readable on
> other machines. I could format a floppy on this machine, but DIR claimed
> that it did not have a recognizable file system. RMB -> Properties
> showed the file system as RAW.
>
> Now I find that this happens only if the machine is booted with no
> FAT32-formatted media attached. If I boot up with a FAT32-formatted
> external drive or thumb drive in place, it can read them and will
> continue to be able to read FAT(32) media even when the one(s) present
> at boot time has/have been detached.
>
> Is this behavior normal? If not, how do I remedy it?

I have seen such reports before but I've never
seen a cause or a solution. I have NTFS only
computers without a floppy drive, and there is
no problem with FAT formatted USB drives under
XP SP2+SP3.

Creating a very small FAT formatted partition on
the internal drive and removing it's drive letter
would be a cure.

Uwe

From: Percival P. Cassidy on
On 02/15/10 07:29 pm, I wrote:

> I wrote earlier of a problem on one machine with XP Home SP3. It would
> not read floppies of FAT32-formatted thumb drives that were readable on
> other machines. I could format a floppy on this machine, but DIR claimed
> that it did not have a recognizable file system. RMB -> Properties
> showed the file system as RAW.
>
> Now I find that this happens only if the machine is booted with no
> FAT32-formatted media attached. If I boot up with a FAT32-formatted
> external drive or thumb drive in place, it can read them and will
> continue to be able to read FAT(32) media even when the one(s) present
> at boot time has/have been detached.
>
> Is this behavior normal? If not, how do I remedy it?

OK, I think I found the real problem: the sptd.sys file left behind
after an apparently incomplete uninstallation of Daemon Tools, a utility
that allows an .iso file to be treated as a CD or DVD.

I had to download the stand-alone Daemon Tools installer and select the
Uninstall option. Running the uninstall process that had been installed
along with the original installation apparently had not been entirely
successful.

Perce