From: Tim Daneliuk on
I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.

The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and FreeBSD 8.0
also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
drive, but that's another story.

IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
940 w/EMT64 option).

HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
during the FreeBSD virtual booting process. FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works
fine.

'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk tundra(a)tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

From: Warren Block on
Tim Daneliuk <tundra(a)tundraware.com> wrote:
> I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.
>
> The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and FreeBSD 8.0
> also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
> drive, but that's another story.
>
> IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
> 940 w/EMT64 option).
>
> HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
> of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
> during the FreeBSD virtual booting process. FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works
> fine.
>
> 'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?

Not me, but some suggest it involves enabling virtualization settings in
the BIOS:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2061

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 12/19/2009 06:33 AM, Warren Block wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk <tundra(a)tundraware.com> wrote:
>> I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.
>>
>> The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and FreeBSD 8.0
>> also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
>> drive, but that's another story.
>>
>> IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
>> 940 w/EMT64 option).
>>
>> HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
>> of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
>> during the FreeBSD virtual booting process. FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works
>> fine.
>>
>> 'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?
>
> Not me, but some suggest it involves enabling virtualization settings in
> the BIOS:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2061

That seems to be too stale, duplicate and closed a ticket to care ;)

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 12/18/2009 10:20 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.

You could better have asked it either in a Win/XP or VirtualBox forum.

> The hardware happily boots the Ubuntu amd64 CDROM natively and FreeBSD 8.0
> also boots fine - well ... up to the point where it has to ID the hard
> drive, but that's another story.
>
> IOW, the hardware is 64-bit capable (It is an Intel mobo w/a Pentium-D
> 940 w/EMT64 option).
>
> HOWEVER, when I run VirtualBox and try to install the 64 bit version
> of FreeBSD in a VM, it get a "CPU doesn't support long mode" error
> during the FreeBSD virtual booting process. FreeBSD 8.0 i386 works
> fine.
>
> 'Anyone run across this before and/or have a fix?

I have another story and, or scenario to tell...

I managed (though I was not difficult either) to install FreeBSD
8.0-RELEASE under SUN-VirtualBox 3.1.2 running on Debian. First, the
bare minimalistic install filled up most of dynamic/virtual disk which
was on a common vfat/msdosfs partition. So I had cancel the install and
start with a fresh/empty virtual disk, but this time on an ext4 partition :)

It is strange that bare minimalistic FreeBSD has consumed 4.1G; it has
installed a bunch of useless documents of the whole world ;) No X, XFCE,
GNOME, KDE and, or other useful apps as yet.

Whereas, if you just want to compare the same with others who provide
all the stuff for daily use on a 700M CD's, here follows a listing:

[bsd(a)mon HardDisks]$ ls -lh
total 19G
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 3.1G Dec 19 07:44 ArchLinux-XFCE.vdi
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 753M Dec 18 23:51 ChromiumOS.vmdk
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 694M Dec 16 08:21 Debian-GNOME.vdi
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 4.1G Dec 19 09:07 FreeBSD.vdi <------
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 2.9G Dec 16 06:41 Gentoo-XFCE.vdi
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 3.1G Dec 19 06:10 LinuxMint-GNOME.vdi
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bsd bsd 3.3G Dec 19 06:15 Ubuntu-GNOME.vdi
[bsd(a)mon HardDisks]$

More soon...
From: Helmut Schneider on
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> I have a machine running Win/XP Pro SP3 hosting VirtualBox 3.1.

And XP is XP64?! You cannot virtualize a 64bit OS within a (Windows)
32bit environment.

Helmut